What is Qtern?
Qtern 5mg/10mg Tablet is a drug combination that treats type 2 diabetes mellitus. It aids in the control of diabetes-related high blood sugar levels. This reduces the risk of serious diabetes complications and aids in the prevention of heart disease.
This medication combines dapagliflozin and saxagliptin. It is used to control high blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes in conjunction with a proper diet and exercise program. Controlling high blood sugar levels can help prevent kidney damage, blindness, nerve problems, limb loss, and sexual function issues. Diabetes control may also reduce your risk of having a heart attack or stroke. Dapagliflozin works by increasing sugar removal by the kidneys. Saxagliptin works by increasing levels of incretins, which are naturally occurring substances. Incretins aid in blood sugar control by increasing insulin release, particularly after a meal. They also reduce the amount of sugar your liver produces.
How to use?
- Before you begin taking this medication, and each time you get a refill, read the Medication Guide provided by your pharmacist.
- As directed by your doctor, take this medication orally with or without food once daily in the morning.
- This medication should be swallowed whole, according to the manufacturer. Many similar drugs (immediate-release tablets) can, however, be split/crushed. Follow your doctor's instructions for taking this medication.
- To get the most out of this medication, take it on a regular basis. Take it at the same time every day to help you remember.
Qtern Side Effects:
The majority of side effects do not necessitate medical attention and will go away as your body adjusts to the medication. Consult your doctor if they persist or if you are concerned.
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Urinary tract infection
- Hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol)
- Genital infection
- Joint pain
- Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to dapagliflozin or saxagliptin, or if you have any other allergies. Also, tell your doctor or pharmacist about your medical history, especially if you have: kidney disease, dehydration, pancreas disease, alcohol use/abuse, gallbladder stones, low blood pressure, heart failure, high cholesterol, yeast infections in the vagina.
- When your body is stressed, it may be more difficult to control your blood sugar (such as due to fever, infection, injury, or surgery). Furthermore, if you eat less or are unable to eat due to these conditions or any illness, this can result in a high ketone level while taking this medication.
- This medication's side effects, particularly kidney problems, dehydration, dizziness, and low blood pressure, may be more severe in older adults.
- This medication should be used only when recommended by the doctor during pregnancy. Diabetes can be caused or worsened during pregnancy. Discuss with your doctor a plan for controlling your blood sugar while pregnant. During your pregnancy, your doctor may alter your diabetes treatment (such as diet and medications including insulin).
- It is not known whether this medication passes into breast milk. Before you start breastfeeding, talk to your doctor.
Drug interactions might change the way your medications function or put you at risk for serious side effects. Discuss with your doctor about all other medications, herbal preparations, or supplements you are currently taking in order to avoid any potential drug interactions.
If you forget to take one of the dosages, take it as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose and proceed with your daily schedule. To cope up with a missed dose, do not take a double dose.
Overdose of a drug can be accidental. If you have taken more than the prescribed tablets there is a chance of getting harmful effects on your body’s functions.
Exposure of medicine to heat, air, and light may cause some harmful effects. The medicine must be kept in a safe place and out of children’s reach.
Qtern vs Glyxambi:
|This medication combines dapagliflozin and saxagliptin. It is used to control high blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes in conjunction with a proper diet and exercise program.||This medication combines two medications: empagliflozin and linagliptin. It is used to control high blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes in conjunction with a proper diet and exercise program.|
|It aids in the control of diabetes-related high blood sugar levels. This reduces the risk of serious diabetes complications and aids in the prevention of heart disease.||It is used to control high blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes in conjunction with a proper diet and exercise program. Controlling high blood sugar levels can help prevent kidney damage, blindness, nerve problems, limb loss, and sexual function issues.|
|Works by increasing insulin release from the pancreas and decreasing hormones that raise blood sugar levels. This lowers fasting and post meal sugar levels. Dapagliflozin works by excreting excess sugar (glucose) in the urine.||Increases levels of natural substances known as incretins.|