By Medicover Hospitals / 11 Mar 2021
What is Minocycline ?
Minocycline is a bacteria-fighting tetracycline antibiotic in the body. The medication is used to treat multiple bacterial infections such as infections of the urinary tract, infections of the respiratory tract, infections of the scalp, extreme acne, chlamydia, tick fever, etc. It is also used as a second-line treatment in people with penicillin resistance for gonorrhea, syphilis, and other infections.
- Minocycline Uses
- Minocycline Side effects
- Minocycline vs Doxycycline
- Frequently Asked Questions
- It is used to cure bacterial infections or to avoid them.
- It is used for the removal of pimples (acne).
Less common side effects are
- Blurred vision
- Dryness of the mouth
- Burning pain
- Hair loss
- Discoloration of skin or nails
- Spinning sensation
- Muscle or joint pain
- Loss of appetite
- Swollen tongue
- Trouble swallowing
Contact your physician urgently if you have::
- Low or no urination, swelling of the ankles or knees, feeling sluggish or out of breath (signs of issues with the kidneys).
- Appetite loss, upper stomach pain (which may extend to the back), nausea or vomiting, loss of appetite, quick swelling or bleeding, black urine, skin or eye yellowing (signs of complications with the liver or pancreas).
- Pressure or swelling of the joints with fever, swollen glands, muscle aches, pain in the abdomen, vomiting, irregular feelings or actions, and discoloration of the skin.
- Extreme migraine, the ringing of your ears, dizziness, difficulty with your vision, pain in the back of your eyes
- Swollen lips, signs of flu, quick swelling or bleeding, extreme tingling or numbness, stiffness of the body, chest pain, fever or fresh or deteriorating cough, difficulties breathing.
Popular side-effects of minocycline can include :
- Numbness, tingling, discomfort from burning
- Loss of hair
- Discoloration of the nails or skin
- The sense of dizziness
- Pressure in the muscle or joint
- Lack of appetite
How is minocycline taken?
- Take minocycline just as the doctor has prescribed it. In your drug bottle, follow all instructions and read all drug manuals.
- Take a full glass of water for this drug.
- Use this drug for the full amount of time prescribed, even though your conditions improve rapidly. Skipping your doses will increase your risk of medication-resistant infection. A respiratory illness such as flu or a common cold cannot be treated with this drug. If you take this medicine for a long time, regular medical checks will be required. If you need treatment, you will even need to avoid taking Minocycline for a limited period.
- The outcomes of some medical tests may be affected by this drug.
Take the drug as soon as possible, but if it is time for the next dose, avoid the missed dose. Avoid taking two doses at a time.
If someone has taken an overdose of this medicine and has serious symptoms such as trouble breathing, seek medical advice immediately. Never take more doses than what is prescribed to you by your doctor.
Minocycline vs Doxycycline :
|Minocycline is a bacteria-fighting tetracycline antibiotic in the body.
||Doxycycline is prescribed for the treatment of acne, rosacea, respiratory infections, and non-gonococcal urethritis, and cervicitis.
|The medication is used to treat multiple bacterial infections such as infections of the urinary tract, infections of the respiratory tract, infections of the scalp, extreme acne, chlamydia, tick fever, etc.
||It inhibits protein synthesis in the bacterial cell. Doxycycline, on the other hand, is effective against both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Minocycline is used to treat multiple bacterial infections such as infections of the urinary tract, infections of the respiratory tract, infections of the scalp, extreme acne, chlamydia, tick fever, etc. It is also used as a second-line treatment in people with penicillin resistance for gonorrhea, syphilis, and other infections.
Side effects of using minocycline- Tingling, discomfort from burning; Loss of hair; Discoloration of the nails or skin. The sense of dizziness, spinning, Pressure in the muscle or joint, Diarrhea, fatigue, lack of appetite,
Propionibacterium acnes is a bacteria present on the skin of most persons. It builds up in your pores occasionally causing acne. It could be beneficial to kill P. acnes by taking minocycline.
Do not lay down right after the minocycline is taken. Otherwise, the esophagus can become irritated, which is very painful.
By killing bacteria and reducing inflammation, Minocycline treats acne. Minocycline addresses active acne only not scars of the acne. Propionibacterium acnes is a bacteria present on the skin of most persons. It builds up in your pores occasionally causing acne.