What is Nystatin?
Nystatin is an antifungal drug that battles fungal infections.
Nystatin is used to treat yeast infections in the mouth or in the stomach when taken by mouth.
Oral nystatin is not absorbed into the bloodstream and does not cure fungal infections in Any part of the body or the skin.
Nystatin can also be used for uses other than those listed in this drug guide.
How should Nystatin be used?
Nystatin comes as a tablet and a suspension (liquid) to be taken by mouth. Nystatin tablets are usually taken three times a day for the treatment of fungal infections in the stomach and intestines. Nystatin suspension is typically used four times a day for the treatment of fungal infections in the mouth. Follow the instructions given on your medication label closely and seek advice of the doctor or pharmacist to clarify the queries. Using nystatin as directed.Shake the suspension well before each use to uniformly mix the drug. Place half of the dose on each side of the mouth and keep it as long as possible before swallowing.
Using nystatin as long as your doctor advises you, even though you feel better. If you stop taking nystatin too soon or miss doses, the infection might not be fully treated.
How to use 100000 Nystatin Unit/Gram Topical Powder
Using this drug on your skin only. Clean and dry the area to be cleaned thoroughly. Apply this medicine to the infected skin, normally twice a day or as instructed by your doctor. The dosage and duration of treatment depends on the type of infection being treated. Using this more frequently than prescribed will lead to medical emergencies.
Apply enough powder to gently cover the infected area and some of the surrounding skin. After you have used this medicine, wash your hands unless you are using this medicine to treat your hands. Do not bind, cover or bandage the area unless instructed by your doctor. Do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants when used in the infant's diaper field.
Do not use this medicine in the eyes, nose, mouth, or vagina.Use this drug daily to make the most of the benefits. Same time schedule should be followed for applying this .
Continue to use this drug until the recommended dose is full, even though the symptoms disappear after starting nystatin. Stopping treatment too early may cause the fungus to continue to develop, which may lead to a recurrence of the infection.
Tell your doctor if your condition continues after 2 weeks of treatment or worsens at any point.
Some other uses or applications of this drug
This medicine may be prescribed for treating other problems, seek advice of your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
What special precautions should You take?
Before you use nystatin,
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist whether you are allergic to nystatin, any other drugs, or any of the ingredients in nystatin tablets or suspensions. Give your pharmacist a list of ingredients.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist what other prescription and non-prescription drugs, vitamins, dietary supplements, and herbal items you are taking or expect to take.
- Tell your doctor whether you are pregnant, expect to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you get pregnant while taking nystatin, call your doctor.
What precise dietary guidelines should I follow?
Continue your usual diet until your doctor tells you otherwise.
What am I supposed to do if I forget a dose?
Using the missing dose as soon as you recall. However if it's time for you to take the next dose, skip the forgotten dose and resume your daily dosing schedule. Take One dose at one time only. Never take two doses.
Nystatin Side Effects
Nystatin may have side effects. Inform your doctor if any of these symptoms are serious or do not go away:
- Diarrhea , nausea
- Swelling of the stomach or pain
Some side effects may be serious. If you have any of these symptoms, stop using nystatin and call your doctor immediately:
- Irritating or burning in the mouth
- Rash or itchiness
- Difficulty in breathing or swallowing
- Nystatin may have other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medicine.
- Muscle pains
- Very slow heart rate
- Allergic reactions
- Stomach reactions
- Upset stomach
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to nystatin; or if you have any other allergies. This product can contain inactive ingredients that may cause allergic reactions or other problems. Please speak to your pharmacist or doctor for more information regarding this and clarify your concerns.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist about your medical history before using this medicine, particularly HIV, diabetes, kidney disease.
- This substance is made up of sugar. Caution is necessarily recommended if you are a diabetic patient.
- Dentists need to be careful to clean and protect their dentures correctly during treatment with this drug.
- This medicine should only be used when clearly needed during pregnancy. Ask your doctor about the risks and benefits of taking this drug.
- It is not clear if this drug is in breast milk. Before breast-feeding, consult the doctor.
If someone has overdosed some serious symptoms can occur . immediately seek medical help.
Do not share this medicine with others.
This drug has only been prescribed for your current illness. Do not use it later for another infection unless your doctor orders you to do so.
If you skip a dose, use it as soon as you recall it. If it is near the next dose, skip the skipped dose. Using the next dose on a daily basis. Don't take double doses if you missed or forgot to take one.
Store this at room temperature in around 59-86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) and store it away from heat and light. Don't freeze it. Don't store it in the toilet. Keep all drugs away from pets and children.
Do not flush the drug down the toilet or dump it into the sink unless told to do so. Discard this product properly when it has expired or is no longer required. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more information about how to safely dispose of your product.
|Invented name||Nilstat Nystatin, 100,000 I.U./ml Nystatin Lederle Filmtabletten, 500,000 I.U. Nystatin Lederle Paste, 100,000 I.U./g,Lederle Tropfen|
|R common name) of the active substance(s)||Nystatin|
|Pharmaco-therapeutic group||A01AB33 D01AA01 A07AA02|