By Medicover Hospitals / 11 Mar 2021
What is Flagyl?
Flagyl 400 Tablet is an antibiotic that aids your body's ability to fight infections caused by bacteria and parasites. It is used in the treatment of infections of the liver, stomach, intestines, vagina, brain, heart, lungs, bones, and skin.
Flagyl 400 Tablet aids in the prevention of infection following surgery. It's also used to treat tooth infections, leg ulcers, and pressure sores. This medication is taken after the meals. To get the most benefit and advantages out of it, take it at the same time every day. The amount you are prescribed will depend on what you are being treated for and how severe your condition is, but you must take this antibiotic exactly as directed by your doctor. Your symptoms may improve in a short period of time, but do not stop taking them until you have completed a treatment course, even if you feel well. If you discontinue it too early, some bacteria might still survive and the infection might reoccur. Do not consume alcohol while taking this medication or for several days after stopping it. Otherwise, you risk experiencing unpleasant side effects such as nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain.
- Flagyl Uses
- Flagyl Side effects
- Flagyl vs Metrogyl
- Frequently Asked Questions
In Bacterial infections:
Flagyl 400 Tablet is a versatile antibiotic that can be used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections. Infections of the blood, brain, lungs, bones, joints, urinary tract, stomach, and intestines are examples. It is also useful in the treatment of gum ulcers and other dental infections (abscesses), leg ulcers, and pressure sores. It works by inhibiting the growth of the bacteria responsible for the infection. This medication usually works quickly to make you feel better. However, even if you feel better, you should continue taking it for as long as it is prescribed to ensure that all bacteria are killed and do not become resistant. This medication is generally safe to take while pregnant or breastfeeding.
In parasitic infections:
Flagyl 400 Tablet is an antibiotic that is used to treat parasitic infections such as amoebic dysentery. It works by inhibiting the growth of parasites that cause infection. This medication usually makes you feel better very quickly. However, even if you feel better, you should continue to take it for as long as it is prescribed to ensure that all parasites are killed and do not become resistant. This medication is generally safe to use while pregnant or breastfeeding, but you should consult your doctor first.
How to use Flagyl:
Take this medication orally, exactly the same as prescribed by your doctor. Take this medication with food or a full glass of water or milk to avoid stomach upset. The dosage is determined by your medical condition as well as your response to treatment.
Take this antibiotic at regular intervals for the best results. Take this medication at the same time daily.
Even if your symptoms go away after a few days, keep taking this medication until the full prescribed amount is gone. Stopping the medication too soon may result in the infection reappearing.
Flagyl Side Effects:
- Back pain
- Blurred vision
- Tingling sensations
- Trouble speaking
- Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to this or any other antibiotics, or if you have any kind of allergies. Inactive ingredients present in this product might cause some allergic reactions or other problems.
- Inform your doctor or pharmacist about your medical history, particularly if you have- liver disease, kidney disease, or certain blood disorders, before using this medication (low blood cell counts).
- Metronidazole use may put people with a rare genetic disorder (Cockayne syndrome) at risk for very serious liver disease. If metronidazole is prescribed, your doctor will perform a liver function test. If you experience any signs of liver disease during treatment (such as persistent nausea/vomiting, loss of appetite, severe stomach/abdominal pain, yellowing eyes/skin, or dark urine), seek medical attention right away.
- Avoid alcohol and also the products that contain propylene glycol, while taking this medication and for at least 3 days after you finish it, as severe stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, headache, and flushing may occur.
- This medication may cause dizziness. You may become dizzy if you consume alcohol. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that requires alertness until you are confident that you can do so safely.
- Metronidazole may impair the effectiveness of live bacterial vaccines (such as typhoid vaccine). Unless your doctor instructs you otherwise, do not have any immunizations or vaccinations while taking this medication.
- This medication should be used y during pregnancy only when prescribed by the doctor. Consult your doctor.
- This medication is excreted in breast milk. Before you start breastfeeding, talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits. If you are given a single-dose treatment, your doctor may advise you to stop breastfeeding for a short period of time after the dose.
- Drug interactions can alter the way your medications work or put you at risk for serious side effects. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medications without first consulting your doctor.
- Alcohol-containing products (such as cough and cold syrups and aftershave), propylene glycol-containing products, lopinavir/ritonavir solution, and lithium are examples of products that may interact with this medication.
- Metronidazole should not be taken if you are also taking disulfiram or if you have taken disulfiram within the last two weeks.
- This medication may interfere with certain lab tests, potentially resulting in false results. Make sure lab personnel and all of your doctors are aware that you are taking this medication.
If someone has taken an overdose of this medicine and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, seek medical advice. Do not take more than what is prescribed to you by your doctor.
If you forget to take any dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it is already near to the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose. Take your next dose at the regular time. Do not double the dose.
Keep it at room temperature only, far away from direct light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medications far away from kids. Don’t flush medications down the toilet or pour them into the drainage system.
Flagyl vs Metrogyl:
|Flagyl 400 Tablet is an antibiotic that aids your body's ability to fight infections caused by bacteria and parasites.
||Metrogyl 400 Tablet is an antibiotic that aids your body's ability to fight infections caused by bacteria and parasites.
|It is used in the treatment of infections of the liver, stomach, intestines, brain, heart, lungs, bones, and skin.
||It is utilized in the treatment of infections of the liver, stomach, intestines, vagina, brain, heart, lungs, bones, and skin.
|Flagyl 400 Tablet is a versatile antibiotic that can be used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections.
||Metrogyl 400 Tablet aids in the prevention of infection following surgery. It's also used to treat tooth infections, leg ulcers, and pressure sores.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Flagyl is used in the treatment of parasitic infections such as Giardia infections of the small intestine, amebic liver abscess, and amebic dysentery bacterial vaginosis, trichomonas vaginal infections, and trichomonas carriers.
It's a strong antibiotic in the nitroimidazole class that's used to treat bacterial infections of the stomach and intestine, as well as the skin and joints.
You can take these capsules with or without food. If the medication causes stomach upset, it is best to take it with a meal or snack. The extended–release tablet should be taken without food, one hour before or two hours after eating.
While taking metronidazole, avoid drinking alcohol or consuming foods or medications containing propylene glycol. Side effects such as headaches, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, and flushing are possible (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling).
Flagyl 400 mg tablet is used to treat diarrhea or dysentery caused by parasitic infections like amoebiasis. It's used to prevent and treat sexually transmitted infections like trichomoniasis and giardiasis.
If symptoms suggest recurrent or persistent urethritis, the CDC recommends a seven-day course of 2 g metronidazole (Flagyl) plus 500 mg erythromycin base orally 4 times per day, or 800 mg erythromycin ethylsuccinate orally four times per day.
The medication takes 7 days to take effect.
Flagyl S suspension should be taken at least one hour before eating or drinking anything. This medication is more effective when taken on an empty stomach.
Penicillin-class antibiotics, such as penicillin and amoxicillin, are most commonly used to treat tooth infections. For certain types of bacterial infections, an antibiotic called metronidazole may be prescribed. It is sometimes combined with penicillin to treat a wider range of bacterial species.
Yes, it might cause weakness patients have also reported headaches, syncope, dizziness, vertigo, incoordination, ataxia, confusion, dysarthria, irritability, depression, weakness, and insomnia.