Introduction to PET CT Scan
What is a PET CT Scan?
Why do Hospitals use PET CT Scans?
- Cancer which includes breast cancer, thyroid cancer and lung cancer
- Any heart problems like Coronary Artery Disease(CAD) and Heart Attack
- Various types of brain Disorders like brain tumors, epilepsy, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Cancer is spreading in the body parts
- The cancer treatment is progressive or not
- There is any recurrence in cancer
- Head trauma
- Parkinson’s disease
Difference between PET Scan and CT Scan and MRI Scan
|It’s an imaging exam that is used for diagnosing diseases or issues by looking at how the body is functioning.||CT Scan uses computers and rotating X-Ray machines for creating cross- sectional images of the body.||It uses strong magnetic fields and radio waves to display detailed images of the body.|
|PET-CT Scan uses a special dye with radioactive tracers which help the machine in capturing the changes on how the body is working.||CT Scan shows a clear picture of soft tissues, blood vessels and bones in various parts of the body.||Images are used to determine the injured and unhealthy tissue in the body.|
|PET-CT Scan are used to:
||CT Scan are used to:
||MRI Scan are used for:
Types of PET CT Scans
PET f-18 FDG Scan:
Cardiac PET CT Scan:
F-18 Bone Scan:
Neuro PET scan:
PET CT scan cost
Risks involved in the PET CT Scan
- PET CT Scan involves radioactive tracers but it has less exposure to harmful radiation.
- The risks are very low as compared to the beneficiary factors.
- The tracer consists of glucose with radioactive components attached. So it makes the body eliminate tracers even if you are having past medical conditions of kidney disease or diabetes.
- Heart Disease
- Blood cells disorders
- Kidney disease
- Mild rash
How is a PET CT Scan performed?
Frequently Asked Questions:
PET CT scan is useful in detecting many types of cancers. It can verify the smallest cancer cells. PET CT Scan images are combined with CT or MRI scan for creating special views.
PET CT scans are not painful. These are used for diagnosing the condition and tracking down the development. Scans are not painful but they shouldn’t consume food at least before 4-6 hours.
Pet scan take at least 30minutes. The scan is painless but can feel uncomfortable lying still for a longer period of time.
PET scan is a source of claustrophobic.
The more scan you have the higher will be your lifetime exposure and higher will be the risk. Mainly three scan limit applies for the type of tumor.
Yes, PET scan is effective than CT scan. PET scan show the metallic changes that occur at the cellular level in tissue and organ.
IRT is a potential noninvasive and safe alternative for PT scan.
Avoid drinking of water for 6 hours before the PET scan.