Types of Gastrectomy
The indications of thyroidectomy are -
- A partial gastrectomy takes place when a section of the stomach is excised. Typically, the lowest half is eliminated.
- The entire stomach is excised during a total gastrectomy.
- The left side of the stomach is cut during sleeve gastrectomy surgery. This procedure is done as part of a surgery for loss of weight.
Book an appointment with a gastrointestinal surgeon or general surgeon for a gastrectomy.
How to prepare
Before the surgery, you have to have some tests, such as surgical blood tests and body scans, as suggested by your doctor. This is done to determine your overall general health.
The doctor will review your medical history and check if you have any bleeding problems, allergies, if you are pregnant, any other medical conditions, etc.
You have to stop certain habits like smoking, chewing tobacco, and excess alcohol consumption, which can delay your recovery period.
An enema may be given to you one night before the surgery. You also have to do overnight fasting, and maybe intravenous fluid will be administered to keep you hydrated.
Before the procedure
- An hour or two before the procedure, you will be shifted to an operation waiting room area. Once the surgical room is ready for operation, you will be shifted there.
- Gastrectomy surgery is performed under general anaesthesia. The anaesthetist will inject anaesthesia to put you into a deep sleep.
- Before the gastrectomy procedure, a tube known as a nasogastric tube is introduced into the stomach through the nose to remove the stomach contents.
- To expose the stomach, an incision is made from the upper abdomen down to the lower abdominal area.
- The adjacent organs are examined to check for any spread of the disease.
- The diseased part of the stomach or entire stomach is excised depending upon whether the surgery is partial or total gastrectomy.
- Once the operation is over, the abdominal incision is closed with the help of the sutures.
- Laparoscopic or robotic surgery is also used to do gastrectomy surgery.
- The steps of laparoscopic surgery are similar to open gastrectomy surgery.
- Many bariatric surgeries are done by laparoscopy.
- In robotic surgery, the surgeon controls the robotic arms remotely and performs the procedure precisely.
- You may remain in the hospital for the duration of your gastrectomy treatment.
- You will be given intravenous fluids and be allowed to take liquids once your bowel sounds return to normal.
- You can slowly consume semi-solid and solid foods as the healing process continues.
Depending on the operation type and your general health, the doctor will decide on your discharge from the hospital.
Gastrectomy surgery risks and complications
The various risks involved in gastrectomy surgery are
Gastrectomy Surgery Care at Medicover Hospital
Medicover Hospitals has some of the top surgical gastroneterologists who provide gastrectomy surgery to patients with varying medical needs. We are also equipped with world-class infrastructure, latest technologies and medical equipment to offer the finest level of surgical treatments and care at our center.
Get complete guidance and counselling on gastrectomy surgery along with complete pre- and post-operative plan.