When is a D&E recommended?
D&E is recommended during the late first trimester and second trimester of pregnancy. It is also recommended when:
- The mother is in the second trimester and is diagnosed with the foetus having severe developmental abnormalities.
- There is an incomplete medical abortion.
- There is fatality of the embryo (spontaneous abortion) due to any reason.
- A woman doesn't realise that she is pregnant until the second trimester and needs termination.
The risks of D&E include the following:
- Injury to the uterine lining or cervix.
- A hole in the uterine wall (uterine perforation). This is most common during cervical dilation. Bleeding is more likely in the second trimester, and a repair may be required. If bleeding is a concern, a laparoscopy can be performed to determine whether it has stopped or not.
- There can be mild chances of infection. During the procedure, bacteria can enter the uterus and cause an infection. This is more likely if the patient has an untreated infection, such as a sexually transmitted infection, prior to the procedure. Antibiotics administered during and after the D&E procedure will reduce surisks.
- Moderate to severe bleeding (haemorrhage).
- Left over tissue in the uterus.
Care at Medicover
Medicover hospital is a fast growing chain of hospitals known for its pioneering and advanced healthcare services across multiple specialties, including clinical gynaecology. We have radically catalysed the healthcare revolution with many more innovative initiatives across India. We have the top Obstetrics & Gynaecology department which hosts a team of experienced and highly accomplished doctors providing quality healthcare services with high degrees of precision and successful treatment outcomes.