Ketorolac belongs to the class of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs which are used for treating inflammation and pain. The medication is more effective than other NSAIDs which helps in reducing pain from both inflammatory and non-inflammatory causes. Ketorolac helps in reducing the production of prostaglandins and chemicals as it causes redness, fever and pain of inflammation.
The medication works by blocking the enzyme which cells use for making prostaglandins. This leads to reducing the pain as well as inflammation and the signs and symptoms of redness, swelling and fever. Ketorolac was approved by FDA in November 1989.
Ketorolac is used for short-term treatment of moderate to very severe pain the adults. The medication is usually used before and after medical procedures or after any surgery. Reducing pain helps in recovering more comfortably so that a person returns to its normal activities. Ketorolac belongs to a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. This tablet works by blocking the body’s production of certain natural substances which causes inflammation. The effect of the medication helps in decreasing swelling, pain and fever. The medication should not be used for any mild or long-term condition like arthritis.
Ketorolac Side Effects
Some of the common side effects of Ketorolac are:
- Sores in the mouth
Some of the serious side effects of Ketorolac are:
- Abnormal weight gain
- Swelling of abdomen and ankles
- Yellowing of the skin
- Lack of energy
- Loss of appetite
- Irregular heartbeat
- Back pain
If you have any of these serious symptoms immediately contact your doctor for further assistance. In any case, due to Ketorolac if you get any kind of reactions in your body try avoiding it.
A doctor advised you to take the medicines by seeing your problems and the benefits of this medicine are greater than the side effects. Majority of the people who use this medicine don’t show any side effects. Get medical help immediately if you get any serious Ketorolac side effects.
Before taking Ketorolac talk to the doctor if you are allergic to it or any other medication. The product may contain some inactive ingredients which will cause some serious allergic reactions or some other problems. Talk to your doctor for getting more details.
Before taking the medication talk to the doctor if you are having any medical history such as:
- Bleeding or clotting problems
- Blood disorders
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Liver disease
- Nasal polyps
- Stomach or intestinal problems
- Swelling of ankles
Sometimes serious kidney problems can occur due to the use of NSAID medication including ketorolac. The problem can be serious if a person is facing dehydration. Drink enough amount of water for preventing dehydration.
How to use Ketorolac?
- Read the prescription label before taking ketorolac provided by the doctor.
- Take the medically with a full glass of water in every 4 to 6 hours or as prescribed by your doctor. After taking the medicine avoid lying on the bed immediately. If you feel any stomach upsets after taking ketorolac try taking it with food, milk and antacid.
- The dosages are based on the various medical condition and the way you are responding to the treatment. For reducing the risk of stomach bleeding and various side effects try taking ketorolac at a very lowest and effective dose for a very short period of time. If you still having pain after 5 days then immediately talk to the doctor about some other medications that you can use. Avoid taking more than 40 milligrams in a 24 hour period.
Dosage of ketorolac:
Tablet- 10 mg
Injection solution- 15 mg/ML, 30 mg/mL
- Treatment should begin with ketorolac injection.
- Tablets are used only if treatment continues after patients start eating and drinking.
- The total duration of therapy should not exceed 5 days due to the potential for gastrointestinal bleeding and other side effects.
- The recommended single intravenous dose for adults is 15 to 60 mg.
- Multiple intravenous doses of 15 or 30 mg every 6 hours, not to exceed 60 or 120 mg per day, can also be used.
- After intravenous therapy, the recommended dose is 1 (10 mg) or 2 (20 mg) tablets initially followed by 1 tablet (10 mg) every 4-6 hours, not to exceed 40 mg per day.
- The smallest dose is used for patients with kidney failure or over 65 years.
- Oral ketorolac is not approved for people under the age of 17.
Missing one or two-dose of ketorolac won’t show any effect on your body. The skipped dose causes no problem. But with some medication, it won’t work if you don’t take the dosage on time. If you miss a dose some sudden chemical change may affect your body. In some cases, your doctor would advise you to take the prescribed medicine as soon as possible if you have missed the dose.
Overdose of a drug can be accidental. If you have taken more than the prescribed ketorolac tablets there is a chance of getting a harmful effect on your body’s functions. Overdose of a medicine can lead to some medical emergency.
Drug interactions may change the way ketorolac medicines work or it can increase the risk of serious side effects. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine without your doctor's approval. This medicine can increase the risk of bleeding when taken with other medicines that can also cause bleeding. Examples include antiplatelet medications like clopidogrel, "blood thinners" like dabigatran/enoxaparin/warfarin, and more.
Direct contact with heat, air and light may damage your medicines. The exposure of medicine may cause some harmful effects. The medicine must be kept in a safe place and out of children’s reach.
Mainly the drug should be kept at room temperature between 68ºF and 77ºF (20ºC and 25ºC).
Before taking ketorolac consult your Doctor. In case you face any problems or get any side effects after taking ketorolac, rush immediately to your nearby hospital or consult your doctor for better treatment. Carry your medications always in your bag while travelling to avoid any immediate emergencies. Follow your prescription and follow your Doctor advice whenever you take ketorolac.
Ketorolac vs Ibuprofen
|Ketorolac belongs to the class of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs which are used for treating inflammation and pain. The medication is more effective than other NSAIDs which helps in reducing pain from both inflammatory and non-inflammatory causes.||ibuprofen is used for relieving the symptoms of arthritis, fever and menstrual; and other types of pain.|
|Ketorolac is used for short-term treatment of moderate to very severe pain the adults. The medication is usually used before and after medical procedures or after any surgery. Reducing pain helps in recovering more comfortably so that a person returns to its normal activities.||The medication is used for prevention of some conditions like headache, dental pain, menstrual cramps and muscle aches.|
|Some of the serious side effects of Ketorolac are:
||Most common side effects of Ibuprofen are: