By Medicover Hospitals / 20 Oct 2022
Diwali brings unwatchable excitement and celebratory spirit. Though Diwali is actually a festival of lights, in the past few years it has become a festival much of crackers and less of lights. Now it’s time to realize that fireworks can light up the entire sky above our home for few moments but can adversely affect our environment and our health for a long time.
Firing crackers on Diwali increase the concentration of dust and pollutants in the air. After firing, the fine dust particles get settled on the surrounding surfaces which are packed with chemicals like copper, zinc, sodium, lead, magnesium, cadmium and pollutants like oxides of sulfur and nitrogen. These invisible yet harmful particles affect the environment and in turn, put our health at stake.
Copper: Irritates the respiratory tract.
Cadmium: Leads to anemia by reducing the capacity of blood to carry oxygen.
Zinc: Can cause metal fume fever and induces vomiting.
Lead: Harms the nervous system.
Magnesium: Metal fume fever is caused by Magnesium fumes.
Sodium:It is a highly reactive element and caused burns when it is combined with moisture.
The thick smoke generated even by the little sparklers and flowerpots can affect the respiratory tract, especially of young children.
The smoke that pollutes air can make people’s condition much severe who are suffering from colds and allergies. It also causes congestion of throat and chest.
During Diwali, the levels of suspended particulate matter increase. When people are exposed to these pollutant particles, they may suffer from eye, nose, and throat related problems
The air and noise pollution’s that are caused by fire crackers can affect people with disorders related to heart, respiratory and nervous system.
To produce colors when crackers are burst, radioactive and poisonous elements are used. When these compounds pollute the air, they increase the risk of cancer in people.
The harmful fumes while firing crackers can lead to miscarriage. Hence, pregnant women are advised to stay at home when crackers firing is at peak.
Getting exposed to harmful chemicals while firing crackers can hinder the growth in children and increases the toxic levels in their bodies.