What is Amniocentesis?
Amniocentesis is an invasive prenatal procedure in which the doctor collects a sample of the amniotic fluid. Under ultrasound guidance, a small needle is introduced into the uterus via your abdomen and the sample is extracted. It can detect some chromosomal or genetic disorders (such as Down syndrome and cystic fibrosis). The unborn child develops inside the amniotic sac during pregnancy. Inside the amniotic sac, amniotic fluid surrounds and protects the baby. Some of the baby's cells are also present in the fluid. As babies grow, they shed these cells. These cells store genetic data that aids in the diagnosis of genetic disorders.
Cost of Amniocentesis in India
The cost of Amniocentesis can vary according to the city and the hospital one chooses. However, it is mostly standard. You might also find some variation in the cost of Amniocentesis in Hyderabad, Mumbai and Nashik. In Hyderabad, the cost of Amniocentesis is Rs. 7000 to Rs. 18,000.
|Hyderabad||Rs 7000 to Rs 18,000|
How to Prepare For Amniocentesis?
Before the amniocentesis procedure, the doctor may give you particular instructions. There are no dietary or physical activity limits in general. Tell your doctor about any medications you're taking so he or she can tell you if you should stop taking them before the test. Follow any additional instructions given to you.
How is Amniocentesis Performed?
- The patient will be lie on an exam table and a numbing gel will be applied to the abdomen by the doctor.
- The ultrasound instrument will then be moved across the abdomen. Ultrasound examines the location of the uterus, placenta, and baby using sound waves.
- The doctor will inject a fine needle into your abdomen and extract a little amount of amniotic fluid using the ultrasound pictures as a reference.
- After the sample is extracted, the doctor will use an ultrasound to check the baby's heartbeat to confirm the procedure did not impact them.
- This treatment takes roughly 15 minutes on average.
When is Amniocentesis done?
During pregnancy, your doctor may recommend amniocentesis if:
- If any prenatal abnormality is detected using ultrasound technology.
- A chromosomal abnormality is detected using a prenatal screening test.
- Certain genetic abnormalities (such as sickle cell disease or cystic fibrosis) run in families, or you test positive for a genetic ailment as a carrier.
- At the time of delivery, you are above 35 years old. This is because people over 35 are more likely to have a child with a chromosomal abnormality.
At Medicover, we have the best team of doctors and surgeons who provide comprehensive care and treatment to the patients.
Why Choose Medicover:
Medicover is the best multispeciality hospital providing 24X7 comprehensive care and treatment to patients under one roof. We are equipped with the right tools and technologies, state-of-the-art facilities, top-notch infrastructure and a team of highly experienced gynecologists, surgeons, and staff who deliver superior treatment outcomes. We have the most advanced technologies and experienced Gynaecologists, obstetricians and fertility experts who perform Amniocentesis with utmost precision and success.