Benefits of plastic surgery
Plastic surgery is often thought of as having only aesthetic benefits but many procedures aim to improve the overall health of an individual.
Some of the benefits of plastic surgery are:
Plastic surgery plays a vital role in a person's self-confidence. The person becomes more social due to the new found confidence.
Better physical health
Plastic surgery can improve the patients health. For example, a rhinoplasty in which the nose of a patient is restructured which will improve breathing.
It was stated in one of the research that people who are attractive tend to attract better professional and personal opportunities.
Better mental health
Improvement in aesthetics and looks boost confidence thereby reducing social anxiety. This can push the patient to lead a happier life and take up new challenges
Better weight management
Plastic surgery such as tummy tuck or liposuction can help remove the excessive fat from the patient’s body which will ultimately lead to a healthy life.
Plastic surgery, like any other surgery, has risks that you should be aware of before deciding to undergo this procedure.
- Hematoma- A red patch that resembles a large bruise on the operated area.
- Pain and discomfort
- Post surgical infections
- Scarring at the surgery site
The procedure of plastic surgery requires pre-operative preparations and post-operative care. Lets understand the details of the procedure here.
Before the procedure
- Preoperative procedures include a variety of diagnostic tests that assist your doctor in determining the timing and type of your plastic surgery.
- Preoperative tests include Blood tests (complete blood count, liver function test, renal function test and blood grouping) which help your doctor to adapt a safer way to treat your problem.
- Blood tests can easily detect signs of infection. If these parameters are not within normal ranges, your doctor may decide to postpone your plastic surgery procedure.
- Radiological tests include ECG, screening Mammography and Chest X ray.
- Physical examination to check for any signs of infection on your skin layers.
- Tell your doctor about medications being used and allergies. Your doctor will advise you to stop using these medications one to two weeks before your plastic surgery date.
- Following the completion of all necessary tests and examinations, your doctor will discuss and choose a convenient date for your plastic surgery.
- The schedule for extensive burn cases is determined immediately after the patient is brought to the hospital because such patients require immediate medical attention before any other problem occurs.
- After covering all the details of your procedure, you are asked to sign a consent form as an approval for performing the surgery.
During the procedure
Plastic surgery can involve a number of different techniques to move and manipulate body tissue.Skin grafts are used as the main type of plastic surgery.
A skin graft is a procedure in which healthy skin is removed from an unaffected area of the body and used to replace lost or damaged skin. They can be used for open fractures of the skin, large wounds, or when an area of the skin is surgically removed ( such as due to cancer or burns).
- General anaesthesia or local anaesthesia will be given to you based on the size and location of the affected area.
- The skin graft is collected from the donor site(area where the skin has been taken from), transferred to the recipient site and held in place using stitches, staples or special glue.
- The wound will be covered with a sterile dressing until it connects to the surrounding blood supply, which usually takes 5 to 7 days.
- A dressing will also be placed over the donor site to prevent infection.
After the procedure
- Use your medications as prescribed.
- You should avoid strenuous activity because elevation in Blood Pressure or pulse can result in bleeding.
- Three weeks after facial surgery, sleep with your head elevated above your heart level. This will help to reduce pain, bruising, and swelling.
- For the first 24-48 hours after the surgery, you may use an ice pack. To prevent tissue damage from freezing, place a dry cloth below the ice bag. There will be no ice used for facelifts, breast lifts, tummy tucks, or nipple skin grafts.
- When you get home, you can drink liquids. Later, If you are not nauseated, you may eat a light meal. Do not take medications, especially painkillers and antibiotics, on an empty stomach.
- Stay hydrated and extend your calf muscles to reduce risk of blood clots. Walking is good, but not exercising.
- Smoking or tobacco in any form is not good for circulation in healing tissues, and it can lead to tissue damage. Blood clot risk also increases.
- Maintain to put on any bandages, dressings, or compression garments until you see your doctor. Liposuction garments and nasal splints should not be removed for any reason
- Do not use Aspirin, ibuprofen for 2 weeks before and 4 weeks after surgery to reduce risk of bleeding.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages while taking pain medication.
- Do not consume alcohol while taking pain killers. Do not drive or operate machinery for the next 48 hours or while taking pain medication.
Cosmetic surgery vs plastic surgery
The field of plastic surgery can be categorised into two; namely, cosmetic surgery and reconstructive surgery. Both are subspecialties of plastic surgery. Let's understand the difference between the two.
|A cosmetic surgery is performed to beautify or improve the existing physique of a patient.
||A plastic surgery is performed to reconstruct a patient’s dysfunctional areas of the body.
|Improving the patient’s looks, appeal, symmetry and proportion of the face or body are the key goals.
Performed to correct facial and body defects due to birth disorders, accidents, burns and diseases.
|Cosmetic surgeries are performed on the head, neck and body. Cosmetic surgeries are elective.
Plastic surgeries are also performed in the head, neck and body. They can be mandatory in some cases.
|Cosmetic surgery is rarely covered under a health insurance plan.
Most of the plastic surgeries involve reconstruction to restore function of the body part, it is often covered by health insurance.
Before opting for any type of plastic surgery, get to know the possible outcomes and realistic goals of the surgery.
Plastic Surgery Care at Medicover Hospitals
At Medicover Hospitals, we have round-the-clock availability of plastic surgeons working together to provide excellent care to our patients. We provide different types of cosmetic treatments using the most advanced technologies bringing the best results for our patients. Our Plastic Surgeons have performed many cosmetic and reconstructive procedures with successful outcomes.