Consultant Neuro Surgeon
Parkinson's disease is a chronic and progressive neurological condition that affects a small group of nerve cells (neurons) in a part of the brain. While this condition is best known for affecting muscular control, balance, and mobility, it can also impact the senses, thinking ability, mental health, and other aspects of life.
The cause for this condition is still a puzzle. Although there is no defined cure so far, many treatment options are available to improve the symptoms and quality of life which include medications and surgery. Though it is not fatal, it can cause serious complications.
Types Of Parkinson's Disease
- Idiopathic Parkinson’s disease
- Vascular Parkinsonism
- Drug-induced parkinsonism
- Early-Onset Parkinson's
- Multiple system atrophy
- Progressive supranuclear palsy
- Dementia with Lewy bodies
- Normal-pressure hydrocephalus
Parkinson’s Disease Symptoms:
Parkinson's disease symptoms appear slowly. They usually begin with a tremor in one hand and a sensation of rigidity throughout the body. Other symptoms emerge over time, and some people develop dementia.
- Tremors involving movement change.
- Impaired coordination and balance might lead a person to drop objects or fall over.
- The inability to smell
- When walking, a person's gait changes, and they lean forward slightly or stumble.
- Changes in the nerves that control facial muscles induce fixed facial expressions.
- A tremor in the voice or a weaker tone
- Handwriting is more cramped and smaller
- Sleep disturbances caused by restless legs and other factors
- Symptoms of movement may begin on one side of the body and spread to the other.
- Mood changes, including depression
- Chewing and swallowing problems,
- Skin conditions
- Dementia, delusions, and hallucinations are all things that can happen over time.
When to see a doctor?
If a person feels trembling, tight muscles, a loss of balance, or a slowing of movement, he or she should see the doctor. The doctor might refer the patient to the specialists like neurologists or geriatricians if the symptoms suggest the onset of Parkinson's disease.
Get the best treatment for Parkinson’s Disease from our Neurologists at Medicover Hospitals.
https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/parkinsons-disease https://www.parkinson.org/understanding-parkinsons/what-is-parkinsons https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_disease https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/parkinsons-disease/ https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2017/06/22/parkinsons-disease-complications/ https://www.parkinsonsnsw.org.au/symptoms-and-complications/