Nowadays, stress levels have significantly increased due to health factors, work-related stress and other personal issues; life is not the same as it used to be before.
Positive mental health is essential when we have to make difficult decisions, deal with stressful situations, and interact with others around us; it plays a significant role in our overall health. Therefore, we must learn more about this illness to keep it at bay and spread mental health awareness.
The factors that can negatively influence mental stability and health are:
- Past trauma, abuse, or neglect
- Long-term and/or severe stress
- Social isolation
- Long-term physical conditions
- Social disadvantages
- Poverty or significant debt
- A breakup or divorce
- Dysfunctional family life
Why is Mental Health Important?
Mental health relates to a person’s emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It is more important because it affects every aspect of our lives, and mental health conditions influence everything we do, think, or say.
Mental and physical well-being are equally crucial components of general wellness. For example, depression raises the threat of multiple physical health problems, especially heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. Likewise, chronic illnesses can increase the risk of mental sickness. Keeping positive mental fitness can boost productivity, enhance our self-image, and improve relationships with our loved ones.
A good mental fitness has the following advantages, it helps in:
- Boosting our spirits
- Lowering our anxiety
- Increasing one's sense of inner peace
- Clarity of thought
- Improving our interactions
- Boosting our self-esteem
However, mental wellness isn't something we can deal with once and then forget about; it stays with us throughout our life. We have to consistently make efforts to improve it. Below-given are some of the ways to enhance our mental fitness:
- Maintain personal or familial bonds
- Work in social situations
- Getting physically active
- Helping others
- Connecting with others
- Getting enough sleep
- Developing coping skills
- Seeking therapy
- Practicing mindfulness — like mindfulness meditation
- Yoga or low-impact exercises
Learning to express and share things can reduce mental stress and make you feel relaxed.
A psychiatrist, psychologist, or some mental health experts can make a diagnosis of your mental well-being. Your primary care physician may also help in a diagnostic evaluation or refer you to a mental health specialist.
When is mental health treatment necessary?
Every mental health disorder shows some set of signs and symptoms. In general, however, professional assistance may be required if you experience:
- Significant changes in personality, eating or sleeping habits
- Inability to deal with problems or carry out daily routine work.
- Feeling of disconnection from family or friends
- Thinking that is unusual or "magical"
- Excessive worry
- Prolonged melancholy, depression, or apathy
- Suicidal or self-harming thoughts or statements
- Misuse of drugs
- Mood swings that are extreme
- Excessive rage, hostility, or violence
Many people who suffer from mental illnesses ignore their symptoms as a normal part of life or avoid seeking help out of shame or fear. If you're worried about your mental health, don't be afraid to seek help.
Certain medications or psychological treatments can relieve the distress related to the symptoms and can aid to reduce the symptoms.
If you have any mental disorder then make an appointment with our best psychiatrist, psychologist, and mental health experts at Medicover Hospitals. We have highly qualified and experienced doctors to treat your mental health problems and help you to lead a good quality life.