By Medicover Hospitals / 10 Mar 2021
What is Celexa?
- Celexa S 20mg Tablet is widely prescribed to treat depression and other mental health conditions such as anxiety, panic disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. This is a type of antidepressant known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).
- Celexa S 20mg Tablet helps many people recover from depression by improving their mood and alleviating anxiety and stress. It can be taken with or without food/ milk. Your doctor will decide on the dose and how often you need it so that you get the right amount to control your symptoms. Your doctor may start on a lower dosage and gradually increase your dosage. Do not change your dose or stop taking it without talking to your doctor, even if you feel that you are taking it.
- To make the most of the benefits, take this medicine regularly at the same time each day. If you have trouble sleeping, your doctor may advise you to take it in the morning. It may take few weeks for you to feel better. Let your doctor know if you do not see any improvement after 4 weeks.
- Some common side effects of this medicine include nausea, fatigue, increased sweating, insomnia (difficulty sleeping), decreased sexual drive, delayed ejaculation, and women may experience orgasm difficulties. Some people may experience somnolence after taking this medicine. Let your doctor know immediately if you have any sudden aggravation of mood or any thoughts about harming your body.
- Celexa Uses
- Celexa Side effects
- Celexa vs lexapro
- Frequently Asked Questions
Celexa S 20mg Tablet works by increasing the level of serotonin in the brain. This improves your mood, relieves anxiety, relieves tension, and helps you sleep better. It has fewer side effects than other antidepressants. It usually takes 4-6 weeks for this medicine to work, so you need to keep taking it. Do not stop taking it, even if you feel better unless your doctor tells you to do so.
Celexa S 20mg Tablet helps to relieve symptoms of many anxiety disorders including obsessive-compulsive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder by increasing the level of a chemical called serotonin in your brain. It has fewer side effects than older antidepressants and is usually taken once a day. It helps you to feel calm and have a better ability to deal with problems. Exercise and a healthy diet can also make you feel better. Keep taking the medicine until your doctor tells you to stop taking it.
Celexa S 20mg Tablet can help to relieve symptoms of many panic disorders, including panic attacks. It can help to calm your mind and improve your ability to deal with problems.
Celexa Side Effects:
- Decreased libido
- Increased sweating
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
- Problems with memory
- Dry mouth
- Increased sweating
- Increased appetite
- Fast heartbeats
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Changes in weight
- You should not use Celexa if you also take pimozide because it may cause problems with your heart rhythm.
- Do not use Celexa if you have used an MAO inhibitor for the past 14 days (such as isocarboxazid, linezolid, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, or tranylcypromine) or have received a blue methylene injection. There may be a fatal reaction.
- Some people may have suicidal thoughts when they first take an antidepressant. changes in mood can happen, try to take less stress.
- Visit your doctor and get a consultation if any new or worsening symptoms are there, such as mood or behavioral changes, anxiety, panic attacks, sleeping difficulties, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurt yourself.
- Do not give Celexa to anyone under the age of 18 without the advice of a doctor. Citalopram is not approved for use in infants.
- This medicine should not be used during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn child. Also, infants born to mothers who have used this drug during the last 3 months of pregnancy may rarely develop withdrawal symptoms such as feeding/breathing difficulties, seizures, muscle stiffness, or constant crying. If you see these symptoms in your newborn, tell your doctor immediately.
- This drug is transferred into breast milk and may have undesirable effects on a nursing infant. Before breastfeeding, consult your doctor.
- Some drugs might interact with this drug that might cause bleeding or bruising (including antiplatelet drugs such as clopidogrel, NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, blood thinners such as warfarin).
- Aspirin may increase the risk of bleeding when used with this medicine. However, if your doctor has directed you to take low-dose aspirin for heart attack or stroke prevention (usually at doses of 81-325 milligrams per day), you should continue taking the aspirin unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
- Many drugs other than citalopram may affect the heart rhythm (QT prolongation), including amiodarone, pimozide, procainamide, quinidine, sotalol, among others.
- Citalopram is very similar to escitalopram. Do not use Escitalopram-containing medication while using citalopram.
- This medicine may interfere with certain medical/laboratory tests (including the Parkinson's disease brain scan) that may result in false test results. Make sure your laboratory personnel and all your doctors know you're using this drug.
- Take it in the morning, because it can keep you up if you take it late at night.
- Talk to your doctor if you notice sudden changes in mood or develop suicidal thoughts.
- It has a lower chance of causing sexual dysfunction than other similar drugs.
- The addiction or dependence potential of Celexa S 20mg Tablet is much lower.
- Do not stop taking drugs suddenly without talking to your doctor first.
- Some people may develop dizziness or somnolence after taking this medicine. Don't drive or do anything that requires a mental focus until you know how this medicine affects you.
If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, seek medical advice. Do not take more than what is prescribed to you by your doctor.
If you forget to take any dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it is already near to the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose. Take your next dose at the regular time. Do not double the dose.
Keep it at room temperature only, far away from direct light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medications far away from kids. Don’t flush medications down the toilet or pour them into the drainage system.
Celexa vs lexapro:
|Celexa is an antidepressant known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).
||Lexapro is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor class.
|Celexa is used for treating depression, anxiety, and panic disorder
||Lexapro is a prescription drug used to treat symptoms of major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder.
|Celexa is a racemic mixture of the R-enantiomer and the S-enantiomer of the citalopram.
|| Lexapro contains only the S-enantiomer, the more active isomer responsible for serotonergic effects.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Celexa is an inexpensive antidepressant medicine used to treat anxiety. While it may help with your anxiety, it may take a few weeks for your symptoms to get better, so try to be patient. You may have some side effects while taking Celexa, but they are generally mild.
Better appetite can cause you to eat more, leading to an increase in body weight. On the other hand, Celexa could also reduce your appetite, leading to a slight loss of weight. Studies have shown both effects. It's hard to tell whether you should expect weight gain or weight loss.
Take the citalopram once a day. It can be taken with or without food. You can take the citalopram at any time of the day, as long as you stay at the same time every day. If you're having trouble sleeping, it's best to take it in the morning.
At the end of the day, Celexa restores the balance of serotonin within the brain and body as a whole and gives the person taking the drug energy. Many people enjoy this medicine because it doesn't cause somnolence like other antidepressants.
Serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as escitalopram (Lexapro), citalopram (Celexa), paroxetine (Paxil), and fluoxetine (Prozac), taken for depression or anxiety, can make you feel sleepy.
The dose may be increased to 20 mg once a day after 1 week. The benefit cannot be seen until treatment has been given for up to 4 weeks. A daily dose of 20 mg may not be more effective than 10 mg daily in the treatment of depression. The dose for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder is 10 mg once daily.
Citalopram isn't going to work right away. You may feel worse before you feel better after starting the medicine. Your doctor should ask you to see you again 2 or 3 weeks after you start taking the medicine.
Findings show that potentially therapeutic effects begin as quickly as a few hours after the first dose of Celexa and by extension of any SSRI. Interestingly, none of the participants reported a change of mood or unusual side effects.
With a shorter half-life than Celexa, Zoloft may cause fewer side effects, such as somnolence. Like Celexa, consistent concentrations are reached in the body after approximately 1 week with a maximum therapeutic potential reached after several weeks.
Celexa and Lexapro are both antidepressants of the same class, but they are not the same. Celexa is a racemic mixture of the R-enantiomer and the S-enantiomer of the citalopram. Lexapro contains only the S-enantiomer, the more active isomer responsible for serotonergic effects.