With the rapid spreading of coronavirus across communities, it is really important to take precautionary measures instead of regretting later after getting infected. In this article, you can find the most useful tips which are practically possible and help to stay safe from coronavirus.
Common Coronavirus Tips
The common prevention tips to stay safe from coronavirus mainly involve the maintenance of personal hygiene. Here is a list of tips that need to be strictly followed to prevent coronavirus:
Hand Hygiene Tips To Fight Coronavirus
- Use soap and water to clean your hands. Lather your hands for 20 – 30 seconds before washing them.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available or when you are outdoors.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth unless you wash your hands properly.
- Avoid being in crowded places.
- Stay away from people who are sick.
- Disinfect the objects before and after using them, as coronavirus can survive for a long time on various surfaces.
- Always wear a mask to properly cover your mouth and nose while leaving the house.
- Maintain social distancing when you are in public places.
Hand hygiene is the foremost and effective step to fight against infections. Here is a step-by-step process of proper handwashing techniques to ensure cleanliness and protection from coronavirus.
Wet your hands with water and apply enough soap or hand wash to cover all the surfaces of your hands
Rub your hands thoroughly palm to palm
Now rub the fingers interlaced, with the right palm over left and vice-versa.
Then back of the fingers to opposing palms with fingers interlocked.
And finally rub the thumbs rotationally with each thumb clasped in the other palm
Rinse the hands with water until no foam is left on the hand surfaces
Dry your hands thoroughly with a clean, single-use towel. Turn off the tap with the same used towel to avoid touching the tap surfaces after washing the hands.
Food Safety Tips
- Ensure to get food and groceries from the hygiene places where all the safety measures are followed.
- Make sure to wash your hands properly before handling the food. Also, wash the fruits and vegetables thoroughly with clean water, especially if you are consuming them raw.
- Store the food safely by keeping the raw meat separate from the other foods, and cooking the meat at the right temperature to kill germs on it.
- Pack the foods appropriately and refrigerate the perishable foods within 2 hours of purchasing.
- Avoid using surface disinfecting products on food packages and plastic wraps.
- Disinfect the surfaces of kitchen counters regularly before preparing the food.
- Implement rotating work schedules to avoid large groups of employees working physically close to each other.
- Restructure your offices to maintain proper space between the workstations and ensure social distancing among the employees.
- Limit the number of employees during office meetings and revise the guidelines for outsiders.
- Ensure to disinfectant the office premises and workstations at regular intervals with proper guidelines.
- Establish appropriate settings to increase the circulation and flow of the air such as keeping the windows open, installing air filters, and adjusting air conditioners.
- Avoid close contact with your colleagues and other office staff.
- Avoid touching your face frequently without cleaning your hands.
- Make sure to wear a mask to cover your nose and mouth completely.
- Clean your hands regularly either with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
- Stay at home when you are sick.
- Limit touching the surfaces like the lobby, door handles, break rooms, and conference rooms unnecessarily.
- Do not come into contact with your family after returning home without bathing and proper safety tips.
Safety Tips While Travelling
Though we can’t avoid traveling to prevent getting infected by a coronavirus, it is crucial to stay informed about the safety measures while traveling. Follow the below-mentioned safety tips to reduce the risk of coronavirus whenever you are planning to travel during the pandemic.
- Make sure to always carry a hand sanitizer, tissues, face masks, and disinfectant wipes to maintain hygiene
- Be mindful while touching the surfaces and using the devices that are used by others like ATMs, Escalators, check-in machines, etc.
- Limit human contact and maintain social distancing.
- Try to pay your bills using contactless options.
- Wipe down your surroundings to disinfect them.
- Ensure to drink only packaged drinking water for safety
Tips To Stay Safe at Home
Since the coronavirus is airborne, one can get infected by the virus even by staying at home if no proper guidelines are followed. Factors such as poor ventilated spaces, unhygienic lifestyle can increase the risk of coronavirus indoors. Check out these simple yet effective tips to stay safe indoors during the pandemic.
- Stay physically fit by making time for regular exercises
- Have a nutritious diet to boost your immunity
- Clean your home regularly and sanitize the frequently touched surfaces like doorknobs, refrigerator handles, switches, tables, etc.
- Disinfect the packages before handling them if you are getting the groceries delivered to your home
- Make a habit of regular hand wash, whenever required.
- Stay positive and practice stress management techniques
- If you are sick, isolate yourself from others and seek medical advice
Safety Tips For Heart Patients
While everyone must follow the safety guidelines to reduce their risk of getting infected with coronavirus, patients with underlying health issues should be more careful. Here are some safety tips from healthcare experts to stay safe from coronavirus while taking care of their hearts.
- Follow heart-healthy habits which include good food, regular exercise, ample amount of rest and sleep, etc.
- Take your regular medicines as prescribed by your doctor
- Do not smoke and limit the consumption of alcohol and junk food
- Ensure to consult your doctor regularly
- Wear a cloth mask when stepping out of the house
- Manage stress
- Avoid close contact with others, especially people who are sick
- Dispose of tissues after using them while coughing or sneezing
Coronavirus Safety Tips For Patients With Asthma, Lung Problems
Patients with pulmonary issues such as COPD, asthma, and other lung problems are more prone to coronavirus which can lead to serious complications. So, these people should follow the safety guidelines strictly to cut down their risks. Following are some safety tips for patients with pulmonary issues:
- Always wear a cotton mask while being outside to cover your nose and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with sick people as coronavirus spreads from person-to-person through infected respiratory droplets while coughing or sneezing.
- Keep your inhalers handy to avoid complications in case of breathing difficulties.
- Practice yoga regularly to keep your airways clear and healthy.
- Manage stress, as it can cause anxiety and lead to breathing problems.
- Avoid having cold beverages and foods which can cause cold and worsen the existing pulmonary issues.
Safety Tips For Pregnant Women
Pregnant women should be highly protective as coronavirus can pose a great risk for them and their unborn babies as well. Usually, during pregnancy, a woman’s immunity is naturally suppressed which increases their risk for infections. Here are some tips that help pregnant women to stay safe from coronavirus.
- Maintain a balanced diet to strengthen your immune system.
- Follow the guidelines of proper sanitization to reduce the risk of coming into contact with the virus.
- Stay away from people who are unwell and avoid social gatherings.
- Plan for a virtual consultation with your doctor when medical advice is required or when a physical examination is not required.
- While visiting the hospital for routine checkups or pregnancy scans, make sure to wear a mask and maintain social distancing.
- Disinfect your things regularly and avoid sharing them with others.
Coronavirus Safety Tips For New Mothers To Protect Their Babies
Though it would be exciting to introduce their newborn into the family, it can be stressful for new parents to protect their baby from the uncertainties amid a pandemic. Here are some useful tips for new parents to ensure the safety of their babies from coronavirus.
- Opt for breastfeeding to feed your newborn as it is the best option to boost their immunity and protect them from infections.
- Stay in touch with the doctor to seek medical advice when needed.
- Follow personal hygiene and maintain proper sanitization in your surroundings.
- Do not allow outsiders or relatives to come in contact with the baby to ensure safety.
- Do not touch the baby until your hands are washed properly.
- Follow the baby’s immunization schedule without fail.
- Sterilize the baby’s clothes and utensils thoroughly.
Safety Tips For Older Adults
Older adults usually have weaker immune systems which make them prone to infections easily. Here are some safety tips which every senior should keep in their mind to protect themselves from coronavirus.
- Stay home as much as possible to avoid coming into contact with the virus
- Understand your risks of existing health conditions and take appropriate care
- Follow your medication schedule as prescribed and never skip a dose
- Follow safety guidelines whenever you are in public places
- Establish safety rules at home and ask your family to follow them
- Focus on your mental health and stay positive without worrying about the uncertainties
- Indulge in your hobbies and activities which make you happy
- Stay in touch with your friends and family virtually to cope up with loneliness
- Meditate or practice yoga that helps you to stay relaxed
- InStay connected with your doctor to seek medical advice whenever required
When to consult a doctor?
Those who have severe swelling or bruising, along with the inability to put weight or pressure on the area without major pain, should consult a doctor.
Seek medical help if there is no improvement during the course of the first few days.
At Medicover Hospitals, we provide patients with specialised orthopaedic surgery with 24-hour care, examination, and world-class treatment methods. We treat a wide spectrum of ankle-related orthopaedic problems. Our team has years of experience performing ankle repair surgery and we promise the best service for your complete recovery.