What is Glaucoma Surgery?
Glaucoma surgery helps stabilise eyesight and prevent future vision loss caused due to glaucoma by reducing eye pressure. The procedure is done by either creating a new opening to drain fluid from the eye or implanting a shunt to assist in the drainage of the liquid. Although the operation can help stabilise eyesight and reduce eye pressure for a long time, your glaucoma will still need to be monitored by your specialists.
Glaucoma surgery recovery is generally painless and straightforward, and the recovery of your eye pressure is highly dependent on the surgery and your doctor's expectations. Regardless, you'll need to take some general steps to help your body heal.
Cost of Glaucoma Surgery India
The cost of a Glaucoma generally varies according to the city, and the hospital one chooses. The price of glaucoma in Hyderabad, Mumbai and Nashik can differ due to various factors. However, in Hyderabad, the minimum cost of glaucoma is Rs 26800, and the maximum is Rs. 45000.
|Hyderabad||Rs 26800, and the maximum is Rs. 45000.|
How to Prepare for Glaucoma Surgery?
- Always tell your eye surgeon about any medications or dietary supplements you're taking before glaucoma surgery.
- Before your operation, stop taking any medications that your doctor has prescribed.
- On the morning of the procedure, your eye surgeon can also advise you on the usage of glaucoma drops.
- Before glaucoma surgery, follow your eye surgeon's instructions about what you can and can't eat or drink.
- Ask your eye surgeon about which medications you may or may not be able to take in the morning before your operation.
- Before surgery, you should stop smoking as soon as possible.
- It would be best if you also avoid alcohol for 48 hours before surgery since it might increase your chance of surgical problems.
How is Glaucoma Surgery Done?
- A tube, also known as a shunt, is implanted into the white area of your eye by the surgeon.
- The tube helps discharge excess fluid from your eye, decreasing your eye pressure.
- You'll be awake for much of the procedure, but you'll be given numbing drugs and sedatives to help you rest.
- Glaucoma is an outpatient procedure and generally takes 1 to 2 hours to finish.
- You can usually go home the same day, although you will require transportation.
- You must see your doctor for regular checkups to ensure your eye is recovering properly.
What are Glaucoma Surgery Techniques?
While glaucoma drugs can help lower intraocular pressure, glaucoma surgery is usually the next step recommended by a glaucoma specialist if the body stops responding to the medications or if the patient has reached the maximum dosage and requires additional therapy. There are several forms of glaucoma surgery, and what to expect following glaucoma surgery may vary depending on the procedure.
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS)
- Laser treatments
- Implant surgery
At Medicover, we have the best team of ophthalmologists who provide comprehensive care and treatment to patients.
Why Choose Medicover:
Medicover is the best multispeciality hospital providing 24X7 comprehensive care and treatment to patients under one roof. We are equipped with the right tools and technologies, state-of-the-art facilities, top-notch infrastructure and a team of highly experienced doctors, surgeons, and staff who deliver superior treatment outcomes. We have the most advanced technologies and experienced ophthalmologists to perform glaucoma procedures.