What Is Electroconvulsive Therapy?
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a psychiatric therapy where a mild electric current is intentionally passed through the brain, resulting in a brief seizure. This treatment is done to cure refractory mental disorders, and it is carried out under general anaesthesia so that you won’t experience any pain during the procedure.
Electroconvulsive therapy leads to specific changes in brain chemistry that can stop symptoms of specific mental health disorders. ECT is found to be effective when other treatment options are unsuccessful.
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) Cost In India
The cost of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) varies according to the city and the hospital one chooses. The ECT cost in Hyderabad, Mumbai, Nasik and other locations differ widely based on several other factors. The typical cost of electroconvulsive therapy in India is between Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 7,000. The minimum cost of electroconvulsive treatment in Hyderabad is Rs. 2,000, and the maximum is Rs. 6,000.
|Hyderabad||Rs. 2,000 and the maximum is Rs. 6,000.|
How To Prepare For Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
Before Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), you have to undergo certain surgical and diagnostic imaging tests to evaluate your overall health. Your doctor will also suggest a psychiatric assessment and electrocardiogram (ECG).
How Is Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) Done?
- The anaesthetist will give you general anaesthesia to make you completely unconscious.
- You will also be given a muscle relaxant to avoid any injuries during the seizure.
- The healthcare provider will keep a bite guard in your mouth to safeguard your teeth and inject drugs into one of your veins using an intravenous (IV) needle.
- The doctor will keep electrodes on the head; these electrodes are contact points for the electric current to pass through against the skin of the head.
- The doctor will cover the electrodes in a conductive gel to avoid irritation and burns to the skin.
- The doctor will begin the procedure initially with low currents and increase it until it has the desired effect. Seizures from ECT last between 30 and 90 seconds.
- ECT uses this current to cause electrical and chemical changes in your brain to produce the desired results.
What Are The Advantages Of Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)?
- ECT is the most effective treatment for mental health disorders like depression.
- Safe in pregnancy
- It is very safe
- It is a speedy procedure
- It is effective when other treatments are not working.
Our Doctors and Surgeons
At Medicover, we have the best team of neurologists and psychiatrists, who provide comprehensive care and treatment to patients.
Why Choose Medicover
Medicover is the best multispeciality hospital providing 24X7 comprehensive care and treatment to patients under one roof. We are equipped with the right tools and technologies, state-of-the-art facilities, top-notch infrastructure and a team of highly experienced doctors, surgeons, and staff who deliver superior treatment outcomes. We have the most advanced technologies and experienced neurologists and psychiatrists who perform electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).