What is Craniotomy?
A craniotomy is a surgical procedure that temporarily removes a tiny part of the skull bone to expose the brain. A craniotomy surgery is performed by neurosurgeons to gain accessibility to the brain to treat various conditions. Craniotomy should not be confused with craniectomy, which does not include the replacement of the bone. Magnetic resonance imaging [MRI] or computerised tomography [CT] scans may be used to direct some craniotomy treatments to the specific area within the brain that needs to be treated.
Cost Of Craniotomy In India
The cost of a craniotomy generally varies according to the city, and the hospital one chooses. The surgical cost of craniotomy depends upon the severity of the health problem. The cost of craniotomy surgery in Hyderabad, Vizag, Auranagabd, Nellore, and Nashik can differ due to various factors. However, in Hyderabad, the minimum cost of a craniotomy procedure is Rs 83,623 and the maximum is Rs. 2,80,000.
|Hyderabad||Rs 83,623 to Rs. 2,80,000|
How To Prepare For Craniotomy?
- Blood tests, chest x-rays, electrocardiograms, and MRI, CT, or PET brain scans may be recommended by the doctor before the treatment.
- For at least a week before the surgery, the patient should avoid taking anti-inflammatory or blood-thinning medications.
- The doctor may prescribe medications before surgery to help with anxiety and avoid post-surgical swelling, infection, and seizures.
- For 1-2 weeks before surgery, the patient should avoid smoking, chewing tobacco, and consuming alcohol.
- For at least 8–12 hours before the surgery, the patient should not eat or drink anything.
- The patient's head is shaved over the specific area where the craniotomy procedure will be done.
How Is Craniotomy Surgery Done?
- An intravenous (IV) line will be inserted into your arm or hand to give fluids and medications.
- A urinary tube (catheter) will be inserted to drain your urine.
- The anesthesiologists will give general anaesthesia to put you into a deep sleep.
- The neurosurgeon will incise your scalp.
- The surgeon will perform the surgery and, if required, take tissue samples.
- Finally, your surgeon will close the skin incision with stitches or staples and apply a sterile bandage.
- The operation might take up to 2 1/2 hours.
What Are The Types of Craniotomy?
There are many types of craniotomies, and each type is named after the surgical method or site.
- Stereotactic craniotomy
- Awake craniotomy
- Endoscopic craniotomy
- Keyhole craniotomy
- Supra-orbital ‘eyebrow’ craniotomy
- Pteronial (frontotemporal) craniotomy
- Orbitozygomatic craniotomy
- Posterior fossa craniotomy
- Translabyrinthine craniotomy
- Bifrontal craniotomy
At Medicover, we have the best team of doctors who provide comprehensive care and treatment to patients.
Why Choose Medicover
Medicover is the best multispeciality hospital providing 24X7 comprehensive care and treatment to patients under one roof. We are equipped with the right tools and technologies, state-of-the-art facilities, top-notch infrastructure and a team of highly experienced doctors, surgeons, and staff who deliver superior treatment outcomes. We have advanced technologies and experienced neurosurgeons to perform craniotomy surgical procedures.