What is Cochlear Implant?
A cochlear implant involves the surgical implantation of a device that allows hearing in someone unable to hear. It can help those with severe hearing loss and is not the same as a hearing aid. In the inner ear, the cochlea converts sound vibrations into electrical impulses through the auditory (hearing) nerve. These impulses are translated into audible sounds by the brain. A cochlear implant aids in the perception of sound. It does not restore normal hearing. However, it can assist a person in comprehending words and noises in the surroundings.
Cost of Cochlear Implant In India?
The cost of cochlear implants in Mumbai, Nasik, or other locations may vary, and it depends on the type of hospital and the city you choose. The cost of a Cochlear Implant in Hyderabad is between Rs. 1,00,000 to Rs. 2,25,000.
|Hyderabad||Rs 1,00,000 to Rs. 2,25,000|
How To Prepare For Cochlear Implants
- The first step is to see if you are a candidate for cochlear implants by consulting an ENT specialist or an otolaryngologist.
- Your doctor can look for symptoms of infection or abnormalities in the external, middle, and inner ear.
- The doctor may order a CT (computerised tomography) scan to determine the cochlea structure.
- You may undergo various hearing tests, such as an audiogram.
- A psychological evaluation to determine whether the patient can cope with the implant.
- The surgery is performed under general anaesthetic.
How is Cochlear Implant Done?
- The surgery for cochlear implants is always done in a hospital and is an in-patient procedure.
- The procedure takes around two to four hours and is always done under general anaesthetic.
- The ENT expert will incision behind the ear to open the mastoid bone.
- The surgeon will locate the facial nerves to create a gap between them so that the cochlear nerve may be accessible. The electrodes for the implant will then be placed into the cochlear nerve.
- An electrical device called a "receiver" will be placed behind the ear and secured to the skull by the surgeon.
- The incisions will be closed, and you will be sent to a ward for closer observation.
- Patients are usually discharged within 2-3 days of surgery, but it can take longer.
Who is Eligible For Cochlear Implant?
The eligibility criteria for a cochlear implant are as follows:
- If you're suffering from sensorineural hearing loss (meaning the cause stems from the inner ear or cochlea)
- If one or both auditory nerves are damaged,
- If you discovered that hearing aids were not helpful to you,
- If you are healthy to have surgery,
At Medicover, we have the best team of doctors and surgeons who provide comprehensive care and treatment to patients.
Why Choose Medicover:
Medicover is the best multispeciality hospital providing 24X7 comprehensive care and treatment by constantly pushing care lengths and quality for better patient outcomes. We have the most advanced technologies and experienced ENT doctors and surgeons to perform Cochlear Implant procedures.