By Medicover Hospitals / 29 Nov 2020
What is Levetiracetam?
Levetiracetam is used in adults and children with epilepsy to treat some forms of seizures in combination with other drugs. Levetiracetam belongs to a family of drugs called anticonvulsants. It reduces abnormal excitement in the brain.
- Levetiracetam uses
- Levetiracetam side effects
- Levetiracetam Dosage
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Myoclonic seizures: approved for use in the treatment of myoclonic seizures in adults and juvenile myoclonic epilepsy in adolescents 12 years of age and older as adjunctive therapy.
- Partial seizures: It can be used as adjunctive therapy in adults and children aged one month or older with epilepsy for the treatment of partial seizures.
- Primary generalized tonic-clonic seizure: Used for adjunctive therapy in adults and children above 5 years of age with idiopathic generalized epilepsy for the treatment of primary generalized tonic-clonic seizure.
- Off-label (non-FDA-approved) for epileptic status and prophylaxis of seizures in subarachnoid hemorrhage is also used.
- Epilepsy dose
- Immediate release- 500 mg orally
- Extended-Release (Partial-Onset Seizures Only):
- Primary dose: 1000 mg orally once per day
- Seizures dose
- Primary Dose: Oral 500 mg
- Based on effectiveness and tolerability, an increase in increments of 500 mg twice a day every 2 weeks
- Maintenance dose: 500 to 1500 mg twice daily orally
- 3000 mg/day Daily dose
- Extended-Release (Only partial-onset seizures):
- Primary dose: 1000 mg once a day by mouth
- Based on effectiveness and tolerability, an increase in increments of 1000 mg per 2 weeks
- Maintenance dose: orally from 1000 to 3000 mg once a day
- 3000 mg/day Daily dose:
Levetiracetam Side Effects:
Levetiracetam Dosage can lead to some serious side effects such as-
- There may be drowsiness
Before taking the Levetiracetam tablet get proper consultation and follow precautions
- Children may be more responsive to the drug's side effects, especially mental/mood changes (such as irritability, aggression, anger, anxiety, agitation, depression, thoughts of suicide).
- Children under the age of 4 could be at greater risk of high blood pressure while taking this medication.
- Older adults may be more prone to side effects of this medication, in particular sleepiness, dizziness, or lack of balance. The risk of falling may be raised by these side effects.
- During pregnancy it may be avoided, as it can harm the baby. Take only when urgently required.
- Inform your doctor if you have or have ever had diseases like kidney, depression, mood swings, or suicidal thoughts, or behavior change.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What are the side effects of Levetiracetam?
- Does levetiracetam make you gain weight?
- Does levetiracetam cause weight loss?
- What should I avoid while taking levetiracetam?
- Does Levetiracetam make you sleepy?
- Is it safe to take Levetiracetam for a longer period of time?
- Is it important to take Vitamin B alongside my Levetiracetam?
What are the side effects of Levetiracetam?
The common side effects one might face on the dosage of levetiracetam are headaches, feeling drowsy, change in mood swings, irritability, and blocked nose or an itchy throat.
Does levetiracetam make you gain weight?
Yes, in some cases Levetiracetam may lead to weight gain
Does levetiracetam cause weight loss?
It depends on the degree of disease because Levetiracetam is considered a “weight- neutral" drug. It might lead to both weight gain and weight loss.
What should I avoid while taking levetiracetam?
- Strictly avoid alcohol consumption
- Antidepressants such as SSRIs (e.g. escitalopram, fluoxetine) should not be consumed Inhibitors of monoamine oxidase such as selegiline, isocarboxazid, or tranylcypromine also should be not taken
- Anti-epileptic medications, such as phenytoin and carbamazepine.
- Diazepam, oxazepam, and temazepam, for example, are benzodiazepines.
Does Levetiracetam make you sleepy?
Yes, Levetiracetam makes a person feel dizzy and sleepy.
Is it safe to take Levetiracetam for a longer period of time?
Depending on the severity of the disease and recommendation of the doctor only Levetiracetam should be taken for a long period of time.
Is it important to take Vitamin B alongside my Levetiracetam?
Vitamin B can be taken along with Levetiracetam to reduce the side effects like a change in mood.
Antimyoclonic effect of levetiracetam, https://www.jle.com/en/revues/epd/e-docs/antimyoclonic_effect_of_levetiracetam_110157/article.phtml?cle_doc=0001AE4D
Levetiracetam: a comprehensive review, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1586/ern.10.3