The Department of Internal Medicine deals with all the conditions which are acute as well as chronic and have involvement of multiple organ systems. It is the primary department catering to the maximum number of outpatient department patients, helping them with the right advice in diagnosing their medical conditions and then appropriately guiding them to choose suitable therapies.
1) Non-communicable disease clinic / Lifestyle disease management clinic: Current epidemic of obesity and other issues arising out of it, like disorders of lipid profiles, along with diabetes and high BP problems. Many issues arise from our abnormal lifestyles, and those need to be identified and corrected for a productive life. These include preventive health check-ups and advice.
2) Diabetes Clinic: Managing patients and families with diabetes, making complete comprehensive reviews of multiple problems of diabetic patients, including management of diabetic foot disease, diabetic kidney disease, diabetic neuropathy, and diabetic heart disease. Also, guiding on diabetic diet and exercise patterns. We would contribute to stop India from becoming the capital of world diabetes.
3) Hypertension clinic: Every fourth Indian above the age of 40 is suffering from High BP problems, and we have an expert team to deal with all such issues and manage all complications.
4) Endocrine Services: Other than Diabetes, the most common Endocrine problems that we treat are thyroid issues, and we are equipped to diagnose and treat other endocrine problems like PCOD, Cortisol deficiencies and sex hormone deficiencies.
5) Nutritional and vitamin deficiency: A lot of nutritional and vitamin deficiencies can be diagnosed by simple tests, including blood tests.
6) Infectious diseases: Communicable diseases / infectious diseases still affect every individual and take away an average 7-10 working days every year. These range from simple problems to many complex life-threatening complex issues which need to be tackled in ICU. We deal with all sorts of infectious diseases that include malaria, dengue, typhoid, pneumonia, urinary tract, infection and special cases like COVID-19.
7) Geriatric Care Clinic: Elderly population requires special attention to manage their aging health in consideration of reduced capacities of their organ functions. Our experts handle these age group with special attention to certain problems specific to their age.
We have a multiple-tier system of trained specialists working round-the-clock to ensure comprehensive support for patients with medical conditions. In close communication with ICU and other specialty departments, the medicine department provides perfect synchronous recovery of patients with complex medical conditions.
Various procedures that are taken care by the medicine department include
- Lumbar Puncture
- Pleural Tapping
- Ascites Tapping
- Ryle’s Tube Insertion
- Pre Operative And Peri-Operative Assesement
- Adult Vaccination
- Central Venous Catheterisation
In the first two months, the medicine department has completed more than 50 admissions in ICU and wards and has a more than 95% success rate in the appropriate diagnosis and management of these patients.