CT Scan Cost In India
CT scan cost in India depends on various factors which include; the location, the body part which is being scanned, what contrasts that are being used and the number of slice sections.
CT scan stands for Computerized Tomography, also known as CAT scan which means Computerized Axial Tomography. It is a diagnostic investigation in radiology which uses X-rays along with a computer to create the cross-sectional pictures of the body. A CT scan is a quick and painless procedure that provides detailed pictures than a regular X-Ray. It can diagnose various conditions related to different parts of the body, including bones, organs, blood vessels and soft tissues. Usually, a CT scan is prescribed to visualize.
How Does a CT Scan Work?
A CT scan machine is a large, tunnel-like structure with a table that slowly moves through it. The person will be asked to lie on the table, to start the scan.
As the table slowly moves into the CT machine, a scanner inside the machine rotates around the body and takes a series of X-rays from different angles. When one rotation of the scanner is completed, it means one full slice is completed and the image gets stored in the computer.
The rotation of the X-ray scanner then repeats to produce another image slice. Thus, the process is continued until the desired number of image slices are collected, up to 256 slices.
These collected image slices can be either displayed individually or stacked together in order to generate a 3-D image of the patient by the computer that stores the images during the scan.
The individual image slices or the 3-D image of the body, makes the doctor’s job easier to spot the exact location of the problem.
Why is a CT scan prescribed?
In general, a doctor may prescribe a CT scan either to diagnose a disease or to evaluate the injuries. A CT scan helps the doctor to:
- detect any bone disorders or problems in the joints, such as complex bone fractures and tumours
- during treatment plans or procedures such as a biopsy, radiation therapy or surgery
- view the presence of internal injuries or internal bleeding in cases of trauma or accidents
- spots the exact location where an infection or a tumour or blood clot is present, including cancer
- monitor the effectiveness of the treatments for certain medical conditions, like cancer, heart disease etc.
CT Scan cost in Hyderabad
CT Scan Procedure
CT Scan is a day- care procedure and does not need hospitalization. The patient can get back to home once the scan gets completed.
Prior to the scan, the patient will be asked to abstain from the food, and take only liquids, for a specific period of time. On the day of scan, the patient will be provided with a hospital gown to wear and asked to remove all the jewellery and metal fastenings.Then the CT scan procedure will be started, which includes the following steps:
- At first, the patient will be made to lie down on the motorized table that moves into the CT machine, facing upwards.
- The patient may be asked to change their position i.e., either to face downwards or sideways, if needed.
- The radiologist can communicate with the patient with an intercom, which helps to give instructions, if any.
- During the scan, the patient needs to be very still, as any movement can blur the image.
- The scan gets complete, until the number of desired image slices are collected, as per prescribed by the doctor.