- Types of ASD
- Diet Control After Heart Surgery?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Symptoms of Atrial Septal Defect:
- Difficulty breathing in childhood
- Frequent respiratory infections in children
- Irregular heartbeat in adults
- Shortness of breath
Types of ASD:
Ostium Secundum Atrial Septal Defect:
Patent Foramen Ovale:
Ostium Primum Atrial Septal Defect:
Sinus Venosus Atrial Septal Defect:
Single Atrium ASD:
Diagnosis of Atrial Septal Defect:
- Chest x-ray
- 2D Echocardiogram
- Cardiac catheterization
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- CT Scan
- MRI Scan
Methods of Atrial Septal Defect Repair:
Open-Heart ASD Surgery:
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Heart failure or valve problems.
- Follow-up exams are typically done on a yearly basis.
Diet Control After Heart Surgery?
Control Sodium Intake (Salt):
Foods to Avoid:
- Eating healthy foods is more essential for heart patients after heart surgery to supply adequate nutrients to your body while maintaining a healthy weight. obesity creates stress in the heart due to more amount of oxygen is required to pump blood throughout your body.
- The daily patient should limit the sugar content foods and 30 percentage fat foods because some medicines may increase the amount of fat in your blood.
- Don’t eat meat more than 3 oz per day and patients should consume less than 300 milligrams of dietary cholesterol per day.
- Don’t take cheese, which contains more amount of saturated fat. Instead of that, choose low-fat cheeses such as farmer’s cheese, low-fat cottage cheese, and part-skim ricotta.
Foods to Add in Diet:
- Choose foods like beans, fish (oily fish), peas and skinless poultry. which contains protein without an excessive amount of cholesterol.
- You can take oily fish twice a week which contains heart-healthy fats.
- You should also include skim milk and nonfat yogurt daily contain low-fat.
- You can take whole grains in your diet contains rich carbohydrates.
- You can consume as much as fat-free fruits and vegetables.
Frequently Asked Questions:
ASD full form is Atrial Septal Defect.
Generally, the cost of ASD closure surgery package would be around 2.5 lakh to 3.5 lakh Indian Rupees depends on the type of surgery (Minimally invasive surgery and open heart surgery) suitable to patient and types of room chosen (Single room, twin sharing, general ward).
You need to contact the cardiology team with your admission letter given by the cardiothoracic surgeon to make and confirm the availability of doctor and admission arrangements. Get information with the cardiac team about what you need to do, and what are the medications to be taken and what you should bring with you before coming to the hospital.
The patient will not feel any pain during the surgery/operation because this procedure takes place under general anesthesia. The patient may feel some discomfort after the surgery for a shorter duration of time.
After the ASD closure surgery, for the few hours patient will be attached to a cardiac monitor machine, that allows us to see your heart rate and rhythm and likewise an electrical sensor will attach to finger to monitor the oxygen level in your blood.
Before leaving the hospital, Get the medical prescription from the doctor to make sure you know how long you should continue taking medicines because the doctor will provide certain medicine to thin your blood and stop large clots forming on the device. You can get back to full activity, including driving, within 1-2 weeks. If you want to do any physical work, get advice from the doctor when you can go back to work.
Yes, our cardiac doctor/team will inform you, when to visit the doctor again at MediCover Hospitals after the procedure. In general after 1 month, 3 months. Providing all is well, you will then need to come back for yearly heart check-ups (which includes generally 2D Echo, CBP, Serum Creatinine, CUE, ECG, TMT, Lipid Profile, X-ray Chest PA view, FBS, PLBS and Free Consultation with cardiologist and dietitian). Book a Complete Heart Checkup / Comprehensive Heart Check-up Package at Medicover Hospitals in Hyderabad