Miscarriage or pregnancy loss is the topic a woman never wants to hear when she is pregnant. But, unfortunately most pregnancies end in miscarriage. In general, a miscarriage is defined as spontaneous abortion which is the unexpected end of pregnancy in the first 20 weeks. The most common type of miscarriage is the spontaneous pregnancy loss and it cannot be prevented.
Signs Of Miscarriage
Some women don’t experience any symptoms of miscarriage at all; but the most common and possible signs and symptoms of miscarriage are as follows:
- Back pain
- Mild to severe cramps
- Loss of pregnancy symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, breast tenderness.
- A negative pregnancy test after a positive one.
- Heavy bleeding possibly with clots or tissue; similar to a period.
Get Instant Online Consultation
Causes Of Miscarriage
Although it is very common that a woman blames herself when she has a miscarriage, it’s so important not to do so. Miscarriage is most commonly caused due to the genetic or chromosomal abnormalities in the embryo i.e., the embryo do not develop as it should. The other risk factors which could be a cause of miscarriage are mentioned below:
- History of recurrent pregnancy loss.
- Chronic illness such as diabetes or thyroid disease.
- Advanced maternal age i.e., over 35
- Deficiencies of vitamin D and Vitamin B and high levels of vitamin A.
- Excess consumption of alcohol.
- Physical problems such as cervical inefficiency which means weakness of the cervix that cannot hold the pregnancy.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to stop a miscarriage from happening once it is started; it is crucial to consult a gynecologist and get treated to prevent infection.