A brain aneurysm is the blood vessel in the brain, usually arises due to defect in the vessel at birth or high blood pressure. It’s a weak area in the wall that supplies blood to the brain. Brain aneurysm often looks like a berry hanging on a stem. Brain Aneurysm causes bleeding in the brain. Brain aneurysms are life-threatening and quickly wants medical treatment.
Brain Aneurysm is also called a cerebral aneurysm or Intracranial Aneurysm (IA). In order to understand the actual meaning of aneurysm, we have to understand the circulatory system of the brain. By using two major vessels internal carotid arteries and vertebral arteries the heart sends oxygen and blood to the brain and face.
There are two types of aneurysms. One is called saccular cerebral aneurysm and the other is called fusiform aneurysm.
Saccular cerebral aneurysm is also known as berry aneurysm because of its shape. A saccular cerebral aneurysm is the most common form of subarachnoid hemorrhage. The saccular cerebral aneurysm has a stem and a neck.
The second one is fusiform aneurysm and it does not have a stem.
Click to read the “Types of Brain Aneurysm“
Here are some of the risk factors that are contributing to the brain aneurysm.
- High blood pressure
- Family history of a brain aneurysm.
- Fibromuscular dysplasia.
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage.
Types of Brain Aneurysms:
|Type – 1||Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm|
|Type – 2||Cerebral Aneurysm|
|Type – 3||Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm|
As we all know that there are three types of a brain aneurysm.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm is mostly seen in men who are above the age of 60. Aorta sends the blood vessel to the different parts of the body like legs, abdomen, pelvis. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm is seen when the area of the aorta becomes very large.
- Cerebral Aneurysm is where the blood vessels start widening within the brain. The word aneurysm has derived from the Greek word “Aneurysma” means ‘widening’. Cerebral Aneurysm is mainly affected due to high blood pressure or headache.
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm occurs in the largest artery that passes through the chest. People with high cholesterol and high blood pressure and who smoke are generally suffering from thoracic aortic aneurysm.
If you are suffering from any kind of symptoms related to brain aneurysm you have to go for some of the tests in order to know which kind of brain aneurysm is. Some of the diagnostic tests which are suggested by our doctors are
- Computerized Tomography is also known as CT Scan. If you are having bleeding in the brain. This test is mainly done to know the blood flow in the brain.
- Cerebrospinal fluid test: If the CT Scan has not shown any evidence of bleeding but you are suffering from the symptoms of aneurysm then the doctor may suggest a cerebrospinal fluid test.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging: In order to create detail images of the brain either 2-D or 3-D Magnetic Resonance Imaging uses magnetic fields and radio waves.
- Cerebral Angiogram is also known as Cerebral Arteriogram. During this process, the doctors used to insert a thin, flexible tube into a larger artery.
Mostly there are only two treatment options available for patients who are suffering from a brain aneurysm. One is open surgical clipping and the other is endovascular coiling. Clipping is a surgery performed to treat an aneurysm. The aneurysm becomes thin as it grows. Surgery is performed by neurosurgeons. During this surgery, the patients should spend 2-3 nights in the hospital and even after the surgery they have to take minimum 1-2 months rest.
In order to block blood from an aneurysm endovascular coiling is performed. Since 1991 it has been used by the patients. During endovascular coiling, the surgeon sends a wire into the aneurysm through the catheter.
Here are some of the symptoms which would make us to feel like that we are having brain aneurysm:
- Sudden or Severe Headache
- Loss of consciousness
- Stiff Neck
- Difficulty in Speaking
- Dilated Pupils
Most patients who are suffering from aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage die before reaching the hospital.
- Leaking aneurysm may leak a severe amount of blood which causes severe headache
- If it is small an unruptured aneurysm does not release any symptoms and it may stress on brain tissues and nerves which causes pain behind the eye and also numbness on one side of the face.
- Some of the risk factors like older age, cigarette smoking, high blood pressure, heavy alcohol consumption, usage of drugs and cocaine may also lead to a brain aneurysm.
- If anyone in the family is suffering with brain aneurysm then there are more chances of spreading.
The treatment for an aneurysm depends on the size of the patient. All aneurysms need not require any treatment.
Based on the condition of the patient the duration will be decided. Normally, it differs from patient to patient. Normally the patients of a brain aneurysm have to stay minimum 2-3 days.
Yes, Patients of aneurysm have been monitored in an intensive care unit. The time duration of the patient is dependent on whether the patient is suffering from subarachnoid hemorrhage.
Yes, ruptured aneurysm always needs treatment.
If you are having the habit of smoking, Polycystic kidney disease, fibromuscular dysplasia, or any other type of elastic tissue disorder then it is easy to develop another aneurysm
The time duration may change from patient to patient and it also depends on the size of the disease.
Brain aneurysms can be ruptured and unruptured. Unruptured aneurysms are smaller in size; unruptured aneurysms are less than one-half inch in diameter. Irrespective of the age the symptoms of the brain aneurysm can occur and should be evaluated by the physician. Ruptured Brain Aneurysm can occur at subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH), Here are some of the symptoms of both ruptured and unruptured brain aneurysm like:
- Speaking in difficulty
- Pain above and behind the eye
- Sudden weakness and numbness
Get Instant Online Consultation
Brain Aneurysm cannot always be prevented. By stopping smoking and by reducing the high blood pressure brain aneurysm can be controlled. People who are having the habit of smoking just by reducing brain aneurysm can be controlled. High Blood Pressure can also risk of increasing the brain aneurysm. The blood pressure can be reduced by maintaining a healthy diet and by taking 14 units of alcohol intake a week and by maintaining a healthy weight and by exercising regularly.
- Taking plenty of fruits and vegetables like berries, citrus fruits, carrots, dark leafy greens tomatoes may help prevent aneurysms from bleeding because they are rich in antioxidants.
- After you have gone through the treatment and still you are in the hospital for a month then it’s better to take liquid foods that can make you easily eat. Liquid foods like Strained Soups, Gelatin, Pudding, Milkshakes, Juices, Pudding and Ice Pops, etc.
- Whole Grains like brown rice, oats, quinoa, air-popped popcorn, barley provide a rich amount of carbohydrates.
- Eat fatty meat and fish like steak, organ meats, and fried chicken in order to reduce the inflammation
An abdominal aortic aneurysm is a test which checks the weakness in the wall of your body. In case there is any weakness the artery balloons out and ruptures it. Men are most commonly suffering from an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Clipping and coiling are the two treatment options in order to get rid of an aneurysm.
Clipping is where the neurosurgeon opens the skull in the brain in order to identify the damaged vessel. In order to block blood from an aneurysm, coiling is being performed.
Coiling is where instead of opening the skull a catheter is used to reach the aneurysm in the brain.
Ruptured Aneurysm releases blood into the brain. Ruptured Aneurysm usually occurs when a person is active rather than in sleep. Ruptured Aneurysm is like a bulge in the blood vessel. Bulge becomes thinner and thinner as it grows.
American Heart Association journal stroke says that the following are some of the causes of a brain aneurysm. Mostly Aneurysms are the result of brain injuries and some are inherited in a person’s lifetime.
- Coffee or Soda
- Sexual Intercourse
- Intense Anger
- Straining during bowel movements.
According to the American Stroke Association, 1.5 to 5% of people develop a brain aneurysm. People suffering from brain aneurysm may have pain in their head and the aneurysm had bled. People who are suffering from aneurysm have to monitor their aneurysm continuously. If you are not continuously monitoring and if you are not going for the treatment the survival rates and the recovery rates are high. The recovery from surgery of an unruptured aneurysm is usually quicker. The recovery can take weeks to months.
Mostly brain aneurysm affects the people between the age group of 35-60 but now a day’s children also affected with a brain aneurysm. The aneurysmal hemorrhagic stroke is mostly seen in the age group of 50 years age people. After the age of 40, aneurysm is mostly seen. There are about 5,00,000 deaths each year caused by a brain aneurysm.
The survival rate of a brain aneurysm (ruptured brain aneurysm) is 60%. Unruptured Brain Aneurysm has a survival rate of 1% per year.