Palpitations are the sensation of heart beating too fast, skipping a beat, or fluttering. You may notice your heart palpitations in the chest, throat, or neck.
Heart palpitations feel like having a fast-beating, fluttering, or pounding heart. Stress, exercise, medication, or rarely a medical condition can cause them. The heart palpitations can be alarming, they’re usually harmless. In some cases, they can be one among the symptoms of a serious heart condition, like an irregular arrhythmia, that might require treatment.
Palpitation causes:Palpitations can be caused by heart conditions including:
- Arrhythmia- An arrhythmia is a problem with the rhythm of the heartbeat. During an arrhythmia, the heart beats either too fast or too slowly, or with an irregular rhythm.
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) – Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a condition in which the heart muscle becomes hypertrophied (abnormally thick). The thickened heart muscle can make it more difficult for the heart to pump blood.
- Heart failure- Heart failure can be caused by coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, heart attack, cardiomyopathy. Heart failure occurs when the heart muscle doesn’t pump blood like normally does.
- Congenital heart disease- Congenital Heart Disease is known as a congenital heart defect. The congenital heart is a defect in the structure of the heart that is present at birth.
- Heart valve disease- Heart valve disease occurs when the heart valves do not work properly.
- Coronary artery disease- Coronary artery disease is the blockage of the coronary arteries. This condition is usually caused by the build-up of Cholesterol and fatty deposits inside the arteries.
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Pulse rate over or less than the normal pulse rate
- Having heart disease or family history, recurrent fainting, or unexplained seizure disorder
- Exercise, particularly if they cause loss of consciousness
Palpitation Home Remedies:
Q. What are palpitations?
A.Palpitations are the sensation of the heart beating too hard or too fast, skipping a beat, or fluttering. You may notice heart palpitations in the chest, throat, or neck.
Q. How long do heart palpitations last?
A.Heart palpitations are common, they often last for a few seconds. By taking doctor-prescribed medication or by following some healthy life habits you can get rid of heart palpitations
Q.What causes heart palpitations?
A.Palpitations can be caused by heart conditions and many other causes include certain medicines, hormone changes, alcohol, smoking, recreational drugs, vigorous exercise, stress, anxiety or nervousness, panic attacks, Coronary artery disease, Congenital heart disease, Heart valve disease, Heart failure, Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy(HCM), Arrhythmia, Anemia, Hyperthyroidism.
Q.What can cause heart palpitations after eating?
A.Heart palpitation can be caused after eating for many reasons like Dietary supplements (ginseng, hawthorn, valerian, ephedra), Diet, high levels of the amino acid tyrosine, Theobromine, etc.
Q.When to worry about heart palpitations?
A.Heart palpitations feel like having a fast-beating, fluttering, or pounding heart. When you experience heart palpitation along with these symptoms Light-headedness, Chest pain, Shortness of breath, Pulse rate over or less than the normal pulse rate, a family history, loss of consciousness. Immediately seek a medical emergency or consult the doctor.
Q.What do heart palpitations feel like?
A.Heart palpitations feel like having a fast-beating, fluttering, or pounding heart.
Q.Heart palpitations when lying down?
A.Heart palpitations can be scary, particularly they happen during the night when you are lying down to sleep. When they occur, you may feel a pulsing sensation in their neck, chest, or throat.