Indications of mastectomy:
Patient with new lump in the breast, redness in the nipple area, pain in any area of breast and abnormal discharge from nipple are suggestive of breast cancer. The following are few indications to treat breast cancer through mastectomy.
- Patients with advanced disease.
- Tumours which are multicentric and multifocal of size greater than 5 cm.
- If the primary tumour has insufficient margins and the breast is too small to allow for a more extensive removal.
- If the breast-conserving surgery is found to be inadequate in controlling the tumour.
- Prophylactic mastectomy- Some patients who have a high risk of malignancy due to a strong family history of breast cancer.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Simple mastectomy takes about 2 hours and double mastectomy takes about 4 hours and little extra time if lymph nodes are to be removed.
Healthy and nutritious foods that include a balance of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and proteins. Proteins help in healing and rebuilding tissue after major surgery.
An average recovery time after mastectomy and reconstruction is about 3-4 weeks, but may be up to 6-8 weeks. During that time, there may be restrictions against driving and activities that involve lifting or raising the arms up over the head.
A mastectomy is generally safe and effective, but like all surgical procedures, it can have risks.
Most of the oncologists recommend sleeping exclusively on your back until you are completely healed so as to reduce painful stretching or pulling of the breast tissue.