The disease can be treated and in some cases can be prevented. Effect of postnatal depression on health
Physical: weight loss, malnutrition.
Spiritual: nervous breakdown, paranoid, dangerous behavior.
Affect to loved ones
Mild: Husband and son are not well looked after. Family not happy.Severe: People with postnatal depression have thoughts or suicidal behavior (41.2%).
Some people with mental disorders, always feeling hurt, should seek revenge or coping. There are mothers who think their children are being attacked by evil spirits, so it is very dangerous to their lives. Even the other relatives in the family, so the mother brought knife stabbed relatives only because paranoid harm.
Talk to an expert now:
Causes of postpartum depression
- Endocrine changes: After birth, the sudden drop in estrogen and progesterone contributes. Thyroid hormonal diminished rapidly causes feelings of fatigue and depression.
- Changes in blood volume, blood pressure, immune system and metabolism lead to fatigue and change in mood.
- Family conflict, financial problems, lack of help from relatives.
- Difficulties in child care. Many mothers feel stressed, sleepless, worried about their ability to care for their baby. Since then, he has lost interest in life and lost control of his life.
- Genetic factors: In the family of someone with depression (mother, sister, father), the risk of disease is high.
Those who are susceptible to postpartum depression
Many women feel miserable, hopelessly increase after childbirth, even crying all day without any particular reason. Sometimes they feel abandoned by their husbands, family and friends. These feelings are often groundless. These depressed women may fall into a state of constant fatigue, indifferent to home work. They do not bother bathing, grooming.
Poor mothers often have many worries, often about their own health. They may feel intense pain somewhere but the doctor does not find the cause. Usually pain in the head and neck. Others have back pain, chest pain, possibly due to heart problems. Mothers have a lot of health complaints that make them more stressful.The most common symptom is pain in the body and feeling sick. These symptoms will become severe if left untreated.
Mothers often feel stressed and lack confidence when leaving the home. They may not even be able to meet close friends, refuse to answer phone calls or letters. In this case, the mother usually does not go to the doctor so the family needs to invite the doctor to the house.
The mother may feel panicked for situations that occur daily, and it is difficult to calm down. Therefore, it is best to help them avoid stressful situations.
Stress is often accompanied by depression. Stressful mothers are often more depressed. They are often difficult to relax, sometimes feel like exploding. This type of stress is a symptom of depression, which can not be resolved with sedation. Women taking tranquilizers should not be disappointed because they can not work. If you switch to some other less dependent form, it’s good.
Mothers with depression are often haunted, possibly with a person, a situation or a particular activity. Some people may become fearful and believe that they are a danger to family members, especially the child. These fears are a common symptom of depression, which can be accompanied by guilt. This is usually for no reason, but if the mother is afraid of affecting her child, tell your family and doctor.
A depressed mother often has difficulty concentrating on reading, watching TV or chatting normally. They will feel less memory, and sometimes not thinking. They can sit there doing nothing, just thinking that they feel very bad.
Often depressed people have difficulty falling asleep. They can stay awake near the light, or can not sleep at all. Some people do not sleep continuously, or wake up in the middle of the night, sometimes have nightmares and can not sleep.
Many mums feel more stressed in the evening, so they have insomnia for a long time. At this time doctors usually prescribe sleeping pills, but sometimes high doses are not effective. In this case, the mother will feel more disappointed. It is important to cure depression and sleep normally. It is best to have someone help mother breastfeed in the evening.
- Sad mood
- Reduced active excitement
- Feel useless or guilty
- Difficult to concentrate or indecisive
- Often thinking of death and suicide
- Change of appetite and increase or Weight loss
- Insomnia or excessive sleep
- Thinking, action, slow reaction
- Fatigue, lack of energy Treatment of postpartum depression
Support from relatives
- Friends and family are sure that the depressed mother is being treated by a doctor. If the prescription is not appropriate, encourage the patient back to the doctor and ask for a prescription change.
- Families should understand that the disease is in a temporary state and that their help can help the mother recover quickly.
- Do not forget that the mother is unwell and does not interfere. Try to treat her as a normal disease.
- When she is not well, let her rest more, and when she is well she can do whatever she likes.
- Remember that depression is not a sign of disease. Often a depressed mother does not like loneliness, so try to make sure there is always someone she can trust with her.
Consultants can help
- If you have mild depression, counseling alone can help.
- If severe depression is treated with drugs, counseling will also help the patient. Consultation can be once a week or more.
The role of self
Mobilization, closeness and sharing with women on the labor and postpartum infant care.