Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Replacement Centre
Medicover Advanced Bone and Joint Institute aims to provide world class based treatment for various orthopedic disorders and sports injuries. Our expert team is led by Dr Krishna Kiran Eachempati is a prominent orthopedic surgeon in Hyderabad. He further specializes in computer navigated Total Knee and Hip Replacement Surgeries.
We are fully equipped with most advanced cutting edge technology like
- Computer navigation system
- High definition cameras
- Arthroscopic equipment for performing technically challenging procedures.
Our dedicated team of musculo-skeletal anaesthesiologists provide excellent pre, intra and post-operative care supported by highly experienced physiotherapists and occupational therapist that provide out-patient, inpatient as well as domiciliary care to the patients.
What is a Knee Replacement Surgery?
As the name suggests, knee replacement is a surgical procedure that involves reconstruction and replacement of the degenerated knee joints with a prosthesis (metal and plastic parts) to relieve pain and disability.
Knee replacement surgery can be of three types,
- Partial knee replacement: In partial knee replacement, only one side of the knee joint is replaced.
- Total knee replacement: Total knee replacement involves the replacement of both the sides of the knee joint. It is the most common procedure among knee replacement surgeries.
- Bilateral knee replacement: Bilateral knee replacement is considered in rare cases in which both the knees are replaced at the same time.
Why have a knee replacement?
A knee replacement surgery is usually essential when the knee joint gets damaged to the extent that its range of motion is decreased which interrupts the person’s daily life and causes pain even at rest.
When to have knee replacement surgery?
One should consider a knee replacement surgery if:
- The person has knee pain constantly
- The person Is unable to complete daily tasks without any assistance
- The pain persists despite the use of medications
- The pain doesn’t stop even at rest
- There is a decrease in the range of motion
- The stiffness of the joint lasts
- There are any severe side effects from the medications used for pain management.
- The non-surgical procedures such as medications, physiotherapy doesn’t help in relieving the pain.
What is a Hip Replacement Surgery?
A hip replacement surgery is a procedure in which a damaged hip joint is removed and replaced by a prosthesis (an artificial joint often made from metal and plastic). It is often recommended after a hip surgery or for a painful hip joint due to arthritis.Hip replacement surgery can be of two types:
- Total Hip Replacement: Total hip replacement involves the removal of damaged bone ends and cartilage due to arthritis and replacing them with the implants that are designed to serve as a hip joint.
- Partial Hip Replacement: Partial hip replacement involves the replacement of half of the hip joint. It is usually done to replace the ball of the hip joint that has been damaged from arthritis or a serious fracture.
Why is a hip replacement surgery done?
The most common condition that needs a hip replacement surgery is osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and hip fractures. In people with arthritis, the cartilage gets damaged which limits the movement of the bones and causes pain. The pain interferes even with the normal activities like walking or sitting or even moving the leg. So, a hip replacement surgery is done to ease the pain and disability in the hip.
When to have hip replacement surgery?It is better to get the hip replacement surgery as early as possible when it is needed. Here are some signs that might indicate it’s time for a hip replacement:
- The pain persists and recurs
- Prescribed medications don’t help in relieving pain
- The hip joint stiffens after sitting even for a short while
- Pain gets worsens in cool and damp weather
- Difficulty in walking or climbing stairs
- Experiencing morning stiffness
- Feeling grating sensation while moving
- Hip injuries
What is a Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
In the shoulder replacement surgery, the ends of the damaged upper arm bone and the shoulder bone are either replaced or capped with artificial surfaces lined with plastic or metal and plastic.Shoulder replacement surgery can be of four types:
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Partial Shoulder Replacement
- Reverse Shoulder Replacement
- Shoulder Resurfacing
When is a Shoulder Replacement surgery considered?
If a person suffers from severe pain due to arthritis, fractures from severe injuries or rotator cuff tear and couldn’t get relief on taking medications, then shoulder replacement can be a better option.
What is an Elbow Replacement Surgery?
Elbow replacement is the most complicated and less common procedure among other joint replacement surgeries. The procedure of elbow replacement is similar to knee and hip replacements. In this, the damaged elbow joint is replaced with an artificial joint made from two implants.When is an Elbow Replacement surgery considered?
Elbow replacement surgery is mostly considered in case of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, Post-traumatic Arthritis, instability and severe fractures that can damage the vital components of the elbow joint. It can be the best treatment option when non-invasive treatments such as medications and physical therapy no longer help alleviate the persistent pain or improve the joint functionality.
Our Orthopedic Doctors
MS (PGI, Chandigarh)
Chief Arthroscopy & Sports Injuries, Knee And Shoulder Specialist In Joint Replacement Surgeon
DNB Ortho FIJR, UPENN (USA)M.D(Gen. Med) D.M(Card)
Consultant Orthopedic & Joint Replacement Surgeon
Dr. P. Joshua
MBBS (Vellore), MS (Ortho)
Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon
MS, (ORTHO) (NIMS-Hyderabad)
Sr. Consultant Orthopedic, Spine & Joint Replacement Surgeon
Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon & Head of Department
Consultant Orthopaedic, Joint Replacement and Senior Arthroscopic(key hole)Surgeon
Dr. T. Kiran Kumar
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Manjunath C
MBBS, DNB, Ortho
Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon Specialist in Joint Replacement & Limb Reconstruction
Dr D Sandeep Kumar Reddy
MBBS(osm), Ms(Orho) FIJR
Orthopedic & Joint Replacement Surgeon
Dr Vikas Pandit Rao Kale