Mothers feel very excited while introducing solids to their babies for the first time. Besides excitement they are surrounded by many suggestions about how to feed and what to feed which throw most of the moms in dilemma.
When the baby is ready to have solids, mothers concentrate more on meeting up the nutritional requirements which aid baby’s healthy growth. But it is equally important to recognize the possible food allergies that may result in babies and what foods are most likely to cause allergies.
Food allergy is referred to an abnormal reaction by body’s immune system triggered by consumption of a specific food. Even a small amount of allergy causing food can result in food allergy which shows the symptoms right after eating or within couple of hours.
Signs of food allergies:
- → Hives
- → Skin rash
- → Vomiting or diarrhea
- → Abdominal pain
- → Redness and swelling of the face
- → Itching and swelling of lips, tongue or mouth.
- → Difficulty in breathing
- → Sneezing
- → Runny or stuffy nose.
- → Fainting
Get Instant Online Consultation
How to avoid food allergies in babies:
- → When a baby has started to have solids, feed him with a small quantity which should be not more than two teaspoons.
- → Introduce a new food at least four days apart. This gives you enough time to observe the allergic reactions if any and it could be difficult to find which food is the reason for the allergy if different foods are introduced at a time.
- → Introduce fruits, veggies and homemade foods rather than packaged foods. This will help kids to likely develop less food allergies.