Are recurring Nosebleeds spoiling your summer vacations? Don’t worry, today you can get some tips which help you to prevent nose bleeds and tips from dealing with them. Nosebleeds occur for many reasons and they indicate a serious medical condition. But they are more common during summers. The hot and dry air during summers can rupture the tiny blood vessels in the nose. This results in nosebleeds and makes people panic.
How to prevent Nose Bleeds?
With some preventive measures nose, bleeds can be avoided. Follow these tips to prevent nose bleeds in summer:
- Avoid going out in the hot weather. If you can’t, cover your head with a cap and cover your nose with a folded kerchief or cotton cloth which helps to avoid hot air coming in.
- Placing air conditioners and air coolers in the room maintain some humidity in the air and help to prevent the nose from becoming dry.
- Avoid blowing your nose hard when it is blocked due to cold.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, and hot drinks as they expand the blood cells in the lining of your nose.
- After the bleeding, the blood clots inside the nose. It is better to clean the nose when it is wet or use a wet paper towel.
First Aid for Nose Bleeding
A nosebleed happens when one of the veins in the coating of the nose bursts. Nosebleeds might be caused by contamination, damage, hypersensitive response, nose picking or an article being pushed into the nostril. Another name for nosebleed is epistaxis.
Bleeding from the nose is regular in children and is generally not serious. Consult a doctor if nosebleeds are extreme, frequent or delayed.
Here are some first aid treatments which assist in stopping Nose Bleeding
- Sit upstanding and lean forward. By staying upright, you diminish pulse in the veins of your nose. This disheartens further dying. Sitting ahead will enable you to abstain from gulping blood, which can bother your stomach.
- Squeeze your nose. Utilize your thumb and index finger to squeeze your nostrils shut. Inhale through your mouth. Keep on squeezing for 10 to 15 minutes. Squeezing sends weight to the draining point on the nasal septum and regularly stops the stream of blood.
- In the event that the bleeding proceeds following 10 to 15 minutes, continue holding weight for another 10 to 15 minutes. Avoid from looking at your nose. If the bleeding still proceeds, go for emergency care.
- To avert re-bleeding, don’t pick or clean out your nose and don’t twist down for a few hours after the bleeding scene. Amid this time make sure to keep your head higher than the dimension of your heart. You can likewise delicately apply some petroleum jelly to inside your nose utilizing a cotton swab or your finger.
- In the event that re-bleeding happens, blow out strongly to clear your nose of blood clumps. At that point splash the two sides of your nose with a decongestant nasal spray containing oxymetazoline (Afrin). Squeeze your nose again as portrayed above and visit your specialist.
Home Remedies For Nose Bleeding
We can’t change the season, but few remedies can help you to deal with nose bleeds. The remedies include:
- Ice reduces the inflammation of the blood vessels and the numbing sensation can give relief. So try to hold an ice cube during nose bleeds.
- Vitamin C helps to clot the blood faster. Though it might not help during nose bleeds, taking foods that are rich in vitamin C keep blood vessels strong and prevent nose bleeds.
- Inhale steam to prevent nose bleeding. The steam helps to moist the nasal cavity and prevents it from becoming dry and hence avoids nose bleeding.
- When your nose starts to bleed, elevate your head and try not to bend until the bleeding stops. This posture helps to quickly stop the nose bleeding.
- During summers, make whole-wheat bread as a part of your daily diet. The high amounts of Zinc in it protect the blood vessels in the body.
- Drink plenty of fluids and water in summers to stay hydrated, to prevent the nose from drying out.
- As dry nasal cavity damages the blood vessels and makes them bleed, try to keep your nostril moist by applying moisturizing cream which is recommended by doctors.
- Bioflavonoids help to stop nose bleeding. As citrus fruits contain bioflavonoids, consume a citrus fruit once in a day.
Medicover Hospitals ENT Department
Medicover Division of ENT is geared to provide the best possible patient care services with cutting edge technology and the best team of doctors. The team of ENT specialists has produced excellent results for some of the most difficult speech and swallowing conditions.
The team begins with performing comprehensive diagnostic assessments to understand the cause and level of all ENT problems. Apart from the common screenings (hearing tests), we offer many other ENT diagnostic tests and surgeries.