Have you ever find yourself wincing when you take a bite of cold ice cream or a sip of hot coffee in the morning? If your answer is yes, don’t worry; you are not alone. This indicates that you suffer from sensitive teeth.
Though sensitive teeth aren’t a life-threatening issue, it’s quite irritating. Many people who have sensitive teeth, pass on hot or cold drinks just because they will make their teeth hurt. But instead of passing things which hurt your teeth, you can get a solution when you find the cause. To get free from teeth sensitivity, let us know in detail about it.
What is teeth sensitivity?
What causes sensitive teeth?
Teeth sensitivity can result for a variety of reasons. There are several causes which damage the enamel and lead to teeth sensitivity. They include:
- Tooth decay
- Fractured teeth
- Exposed tooth root
- Gum disease
- Tooth erosion by highly acidic foods and drinks
Remedies To Relieve Teeth Sensitivity:
Whatever might be the cause, teeth sensitivity can be treatable. Some home remedies that can help to manage and reduce pain include:
1. Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil: Being a natural antibacterial agent, coconut oil helps to reduce the plaque present on the teeth and bacteria in the mouth which decreases tooth sensitivity. Follow the below guidelines to use coconut oil for pulling,
- Put one tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil in the mouth.
- Swish it around for about twenty minutes.
- Spit out the oil and rinse the mouth with warm water
- After rinsing, brush your teeth gently as usually.
- Do this every morning before brushing the teeth.
Instead of coconut oil, sesame oil can also be used for pulling. It is highly recommended to spit out the oil after pulling, as it contains harmful bacteria of the mouth. [You might also like: Reason why Tooth Color Changes ]
2. Saltwater rinse: Saltwater improves the pH balance of the mouth which makes it difficult for harmful bacteria to survive and relieves teeth sensitivity quickly. To try this remedy,
- Mix a half teaspoon of salt in one cup of warm water.
- Rinse your mouth with this salt solution.
- Spit out the solution and rinse the mouth with plain water.
- Repeat this twice a day.
3. Clove Oil: Cloves are popular for their anti-inflammatory, anesthetic and antibacterial properties. They help to reduce tooth pain and fight against oral infections. To try this remedy, apply a very small amount of clove oil to a cotton swab and place it directly on the affected tooth for twenty to thirty minutes.
Another way to use clove oil for tooth sensitivity is to make a solution by adding 5 to 6 drops of clove oil to a half glass of lukewarm water. Rinse your mouth with this solution and spit it.
4. Guava Leaves: In Ayurveda, guava leaves are used to ease from toothaches. To use guava leaves for teeth sensitivity, follow one of the below-mentioned methods:
- Chew one or two tender and fresh guava leaves for a few minutes and spit.
Add 4 to 5 guava leaves to one cup of water and boil it for 5 minutes. After cooling down, add some salt and use this solution as a mouthwash. [you might also like: Effects of Sugar on Teeth]