Steroids were developed as medical treatments and they come in two varieties. Anabolic steroids are most used type of steroids. Anabolic steroids are the synthetic substances which are similar to the male hormone testosterone. Doctors may prescribe them to treat the problems such as delayed puberty and the other medical problems that may cause the body to make very low amounts of testosterone.
Steroids make the muscles bigger and bones as stronger. They also may cause puberty to start and can be help some boys who have a genetic disorder to grow them more normally. Anabolic steroids may be taken as a pill, as a shot into the muscle, or as a gel or cream rubbed on to the skin. Common anabolic steroid medicines may includes fluoxymesterone (such as Halotestin) and nandrolone (such as Durabolin). Some people take the legal dietary supplements that which have certain steroid hormones are also made by the human body. One that type of supplement is dehydroepiandrosterone.
The body can turn DHEA into other steroid hormones, including testosterone, estrogen, and cortisol. People may use it to make their muscles bigger. Whether such products are actually work and has not been proved. But it take them in large amounts, they can also cause the same side effects as anabolic steroids.
What problems can cause using illegal Anabolic steroids ?
In men, anabolic steroids are as follows:
- Reduces sperm count.
- Shrink the testicles.
- It Cause you not to be able to father children.
- And also enlarge the breasts.
In women, anabolic steroids are as follows:
- Increase in body hair.
- Make the skin rough.
- Leads to decrease breast size
- Enlarge the clitoris.
- Deepen the voice.
In both Men and Women, Anabolic Steroids can cause the following:
- High blood pressure, heart attack, or stroke.
- Higher levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of good cholesterol (HDL).
- Liver disease and possibly liver cancer.Chances of these problems is higher when the steroids are taken as a pill.
- Oily skin, acne, and male-pattern hair loss.
- Skin infections that which can become severe if the drug was tainted with the bacteria.
- Irritability, rage, aggression, violence, uncontrolled high energy (mania), false beliefs (delusions), and addiction.
Teens who take the illegal anabolic steroids are at the risk for same problems as adults who use them. Also, bone growth in the teens may stop before it is completed. The teen may not reach his or her full adults height. People who use anabolic steroids on a routine basis can be withdrawal symptoms when they stop taking to them. Symptoms include having depression, being extremely tired, and having no desire to eat.
How is it treated?
Treatment for misuse of anabolic steroids has not been studied much. Doctors usually advise:
- Treatment in a program that includes medicines for withdrawal symptoms and other health problems.
- Also Family and social support.
- For Individual or family counseling.
Note: This article is just for information, Please consult your doctor before using any steroids or medication.