Dr. Pavankumar Biraris
Consultants Chest Physician
and Interventional Pulmonologist
MBBS, DNB Pulmonary Medicine (Gold Medalist), DTCD
European Dip. in Respiratory Medicine (Switzerland)
Advance Training-Interventional Pulmonology(Bangalore)
Former Fellow Interventional Pulmonology (Italy)
Experience : 10+ Years
Timings : 10 AM - 4 PM
About Doctor :
- Flexible Bronchoscopy and guided procedures
- EBUS-TBNA, Radial EBUS guided procedures
- Rigid bronchoscopic procedure (tumor debulking, airway stent, balloon dilatation)
- Cryo-lung biopsy
- Pleuroscopy, rigid thoracoscopy
- Pulmonology: Outpatient and inpatient care (Airway disease, ILD, tuberculosis, primary Pulmonary malignancy, and metastatic disease, pleural pathologies, Management of technology-dependent patients)
- Non-Invasive Ventilation, Invasive mechanical ventilation
- Tuberculosis including Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis
- Thoracic ultrasound
- Pulmonary Function Testing
- Sleep disorders related to Pulmonology
Past Experience :
- June 2010 - June 2012: Postgraduate student/ Resident in Department of Pulmonary medicine and tuberculosis, B.J. Government Medical College & Sassoon Hospital Pune, Maharashtra, India
- September 2012 - December 2012: DNB Registrar in Department of Pulmonary Medicine and Tuberculosis, Mediciti Hospital, Hyderabad, India.
- February 2013 - February 2015: DNB Registrar in Department of Pulmonary Medicine and Tuberculosis, P.D Hinduja Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Mumbai, India.
- March 2015 - April 2015: Senior Registrar in Department of Pulmonary Medicine and Tuberculosis, P.D Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Mumbai.
- Training in interventional pulmonology at Apollo Hospitals, Bangalore.
- August 2015 - March 2016: Worked as senior registrar
- April 2016 - August 2017: Worked as Associate Consultant-Interventional Pulmonology.
- September 2017 - October 2017: Attended advance training in interventional pulmonology and thoracic endoscopy including electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy, and endobronchial valve placement under the guidance of Prof. Stefano Gasparini at Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria "Ospedali Riuniti" / University of Ancona, Italy.
- October 2017- October 2018: Specialty medical officer (bonded SMO/SR) at Seth G.S.Medical College and K.E.M. Hospital Mumbai (As a part of Government bond service)
- November 2018 – November 2020: Visiting Interventional pulmonologist, P.D. Hinduja national hospital and MRC, Mumbai.
- November 2018 onwards: Working as chest physician and interventional pulmonologist
- Assistant Professor, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Faculty for Pulmonary oncology fellowship, Tata memorial hospital, Mumbai.
- Consultant Pulmonologist, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai.
- Jointly initiated academic fellowship program in ‘pulmonary oncology’ at Tata memorial center, which is countries first unique training program by Homi-Bhabha National Institute.
- Tandon S, Biraris P, Bhaskar M. Pulmonary Oncologist—An Idea Whose Time has Come?. Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology. 2022 Feb;43(01):095-6.
- Tandon S, Biraris P, Bhaskar M. Pulmonary Oncology—Scope of the Pulmonologist. Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology. 2022 Feb;43(01):029-33.
- Bhaskar M, Biraris P, Tisekar O, Kaushal RK, Janu A, Tandon S. Unilateral Interstitial Lung Disease with Contralateral Effusion: Unusual Case Report of Dasatinib Toxicity. Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology. 2022 Apr;43(02):216-22.
- Patterned abrasion. Abraham G, Shetty A, Biraris P, Tibdewal A, Bhaskar M, Janu A, Tandon SP. Patterned abrasions. Cancer Research, Statistics, and Treatment. 2021 Apr 1;4(2):389.
- Mehta RM, Biraris P, Aurangabadwalla R, Kalpakam H, Bhat R, Bajaj P. Use of an Extended Working Channel in High-Risk Transbronchial Biopsy: An Innovative Use of an Existing Modality to Minimize Bleeding and Hypoxia. Innovations. 2020 Nov 6:1556984520968100.
- Tisekar O, Bhaskar M, Biraris P, Sridhar E, Tandon S. Primary tonsillar tuberculosis masquerading as carcinoma of the tonsil. Indian Journal of Tuberculosis. 2019 Nov 26. 4
- Mehta RM, Biraris P, Patil S, Singla A, Kallur K, Gasparini S. Utility of EBUS-TBNA in PETpositive mediastinal lymph nodes in subjects with extra-thoracic malignancy. PloS one. 2019 Mar 11;14(3): e0213437.
- Mehta RM, Singla A, Biraris P, Srinivas S, Srinivasan L. Flexible bronchoscopy-guided vocal cord biopsy under conscious sedation: An option to surgical biopsy in special situations. Lung India: Official Organ of Indian Chest Society. 2019 May;36(3):199.
- Mehta RM, Biraris PR, Pattabhiraman V, Srinivasan A, Singla A, Kumar S, Cutaia M. Defining expanded areas in EBUS sampling - EBUS guided trans- and intra-pulmonary artery needle aspiration, with review of transvascular EBUS. Clin Respir J. 2018 Jan 13. doi: 10.1111/crj.12764. [Epub ahead of print]
- Biraris P, Lakshmipriya S, Bhat R, Mehta R. Newer approaches in diagnostic and therapeutic bronchoscopy in pulmonary tuberculosis. Astrocyte. 2017 Apr 1;4(1):45.
- Mehta R, Biraris P, Shivakumar S, Misra S, Anoop P, Srikanta J T. Transesophagealbronchoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle Aspiration (EUS-B- FNA) - Pushing the boundaries in the diagnosis. Pediatric pulmonology. 2017; 9999:1-3.
- Pavankumar Biraris, Rohan Ketan Aurangabadwalla, Ravindra Mehta. An unusual cause of pleural effusion: Vanishing bone disease”. Textbook Chapter - Puzzling cases in Pulmonary medicine. ISBN 978-93-83989-25-6.
- Biraris PR, Rathi VM, Udwadia ZF. Poncet's Arthritis in a Patient with Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 2015 Jul-Sep;57(3):195-8. PubMed PMID: 26749922.
- Research work (Postgraduate Dissertation) (2013-2014) on COPD Assessment Test (Accepted by National board of examination, New Delhi) “Are COPD Assessment Test (CAT) scores useful in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) exacerbation, and do they correlate with other objective parameters?”
- Research project under Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme- RNTCP (2010-2012) ‘To study different presentations of pulmonary tuberculosis in patients with diabetes mellitus’.
Awards & Recognitions :
- National gold medal in DNB Pulmonary medicine exit exam, December 2014 session.
- First prize at NAPCON 2016 (Best poster presentation)
- Third prize at NAPCON 2016 for innovations in Interventional pulmonology.
- University rank holder DTCD 2012.
- M.B.B.S with distinction in subject of Anatomy, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology, and Medicine.
- Bhagirathi Joshi’ Prize in the First year M.B.B.S.
Other Information :
- Advance training in Interventional Pulmonology at Apollo Hospitals and Imperial cancer center, Bangalore. (2015 - 2017) with Dr. Ravindra Mehta.
- European diploma in adult respiratory medicine (EDARM), Switzerland 2017.
- Visiting Fellow interventional Pulmonology, at Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria "Ospedali Riuniti" / University of Ancona, Italy (2017) with Prof. Stefano Gasparini.
- Course Director And Organizer For Workshops/Conference:
- Interventional Pulmonology masterclass IV – Bronchoscopy and airway for beginners Tata memorial hospital, July 2022.
- Interventional Pulmonology masterclass III – ‘Endoscopic Ultrasound - Roadmaps for pulmonologist’ Tata memorial hospital, June 2022.
- Interventional Pulmonology masterclass II – Tata memorial hospital, July 2021.
- Interventional Pulmonology masterclass I – Tata memorial hospital, April 2021.
- European respiratory society
- Indian chest society
- Thoracic endoscopic society of India
- Indian Medical association