Detox diets are short-term improvements in eating habits that, through the intake of juices, fruits, and vegetables, strive to eliminate excess toxins found in the body. They normally span between 3 and 7 days.
These diets aim to improve circulation, increase immunity, clear your skin, and boost energy. In general, the juices that are involved in a detox diet are blends of several different forms of fresh fruit and vegetables.
There is a good range of advantages to Detox diets. Detox diets are said to bring about improvements not just physically, but also mentally.
What is a detox diet?
This culture of the hustle of today can bring a lot of excitement and rush into the life of a person. However, one cannot neglect the poor lifestyle such as drinking a lot of coffee or eating outdoors, which should not be ignored. Often, this fast-paced life can lead to neglect of one’s health and well-being.
It is said that over time, many toxins accumulate within the body due to poor food choices, exposure to toxic chemicals, and different sources of pollution.
The purpose of a detox diet is to eliminate unhealthy substances present in the body and also to increase vitamin and mineral absorption.
Generally, such a diet consists of drinking plenty of water, eating whole foods, or even fasting for a few days or even a week.
Types of detox diets
Master cleanse is the most intense of all which involves making a concoction of lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and water consumed for at least ten days.
One of the most common detox diets is the juice cleanse, in which one drinks only fruit or vegetable juices over the length of the diet, is perhaps Liver cleansing diets, which essentially include consuming a lot of water, vegetable/fruit juices as well as regulating the intake of potassium.
Why detox diet?
A detox diet has many advantages, physically and mentally.
A detox diet also has beneficial effects on mental health, in addition to clearing the body of toxins. A detox brings about a sense of relaxation, freshness, and harmony within the body, according to the experiences shared by a number of people who have adopted this diet. Others recorded feeling rejuvenated and energized as well.
These detox diets are primarily used to lose weight, to minimize the intake of narcotics such as alcohol, cigarettes, or coffee, to overcome illnesses such as headaches or joint pain, and also to simply change one’s eating habits.
Detox Diet Benefits
Healthy skin and hair
Toxin removal leads to healthy, radiant skin. It can also minimize acne and clear the skin, making it beneficial for the skin to have detox diets.
It is said that these diets make hair shinier and make it grow longer, too. This is due to the reduction of follicle toxins that may have hindered hair growth, resulting in brittle, lifeless hair.
Digestive system and weight loss
Toxin removal allows the absorption of vitamins and other nutrients. In addition, detox diets are said to change metabolism, resulting in long-term weight management.
Boost immune system
An increase in immunity occurs as higher levels of vitamins and minerals are consumed, and vital organs tend to get healthier.
Improves mental state
Detox diets are also meant to help with sleep, concentration, and clarity. They thus play a role in enhancing the mental state of any person. Moreover, these diets often help to prevent or reduce the noticeable symptoms of aging.
Content of Antioxidants
Fruits contain a number of substances rich in antioxidants, such as vitamins A, C, E, etc. Hence, the antioxidant content in the body is boosted by a detox diet. Such antioxidants improve blood supply further.
How to start a detox diet?
These are the following steps to be followed before starting a detox diet:
- Consulting a nutritionist or a doctor is the first thing to do before starting. Ensure that no adverse effects on your health are caused by adopting this diet.
- Prepare for stimulants like caffeine, alcohol, or cigarettes to give up. Replace them with lemon water, herbal tea, or infused tea, or only water.
- Choose a form of diet for detox that best suits you. Based on their physique and general calorie intake, the diet varies from individual to individual.
- Symptoms such as nausea, headaches, and vomiting, which are temporary and occur in the initial stages, may be caused by toxin removal. For certain cases, brace yourself.
- Plan the detox in a way that you don’t completely stop eating solid food. This is because there are no carbohydrates or proteins in a pure detox diet that your body needs. So, make sure you get ample nutrients, but in a healthy way.
- During a detox, stop exercise. Your body has a limited intake of calories, so during this diet, exercise is not helpful. Tiredness and fatigue can be caused.
- If you are trying to enhance gut health, you should certainly eat fruit and vegetables, as such foods contain fiber.
- After the detox is over, ensure that you slowly but surely re-introduce it if you have not eaten solid foods during the course. Your system would be disrupted if you unexpectedly start eating solid food.
- Try using fruits and vegetables that are organic.
- Instead of buying canned juices, try to make your juices at home, as they can contain preservatives and extra sugar, which goes against the intent of your diet.
- Try using the entire fruit when juicing, including the peel. This is because there are also a lot of nutrients and minerals in the peel that is useful for the body.
- Immediately after you make them, try drinking all of your juice. It is not good to store juices.
- In addition, eat fruits that, i.e., use low sugar fruits, are low on the glycemic index. Although the taste of certain green vegetables can not satisfy you, they provide the most nutrients.
- By adding flavorful herbs or other spices, you will attempt to enhance the taste of your juices.
- Ensure in your diet that you are hydrated. Drinking plenty of water is completely important as it flushes out pollutants.
Detox Diet Side Effects
Normal processes of detox
On its own, the body itself has several methods of eliminating toxins. Via urine, through sweat, through the kidneys, liver, immune system, and respiratory system, the body destroys the toxins.
These processes of the body thus make the principle of detoxification fully obsolete. The body does not allow the accumulation of toxins, so there is nothing that the diet claims to do to “de-toxify.”
Results of Weight loss
The weight loss reported by individuals could mainly be due to a reduction in calorie intake and also due to the loss of fluid resulting from the laxative intake.
Therefore, you are likely to gain all the weight back after the length of the diet is over, leading to no real improvement. Metabolism rates decline throughout the diet and, thus, rapid weight gain occurs when a normal diet is resumed.
The body can accumulate toxins that can not be removed by natural metabolism, such as heavy metals or organic solvents, but these can not be removed by a detox diet either.Therefore, detoxing might not be the way to fix the problem if the body has absorbed toxins.
Myths of Detox diet
A Detox Diet can help to raise levels of energy
Some detox diets limit the intake of calories to extremely low amounts. For instance, juice detoxes are only allowed to provide 600 calories per day. You are likely to feel drained, not energized, without sufficient energy intake. If your detox diet, however, offers sufficient nutrition (enough calories from a variety of food groups) yet excludes caffeine, alcohol, and sugary foods, after a few days, you can experience an energy boost.
During a detox, you need to take special supplements
Some businesses offer detox programs that include a wide variety of supplements (sometimes for hundreds of dollars or more). This may include fiber supplements, green tea capsules, stimulants, or other pills that are thought to improve weight loss or increase energy.
But to achieve the nutritional value given (if any) provided by supplements, you don’t need to pay for supplements. Fiber is produced by whole grains and fruits and vegetables. And remaining hydrated when eating the right amount of calories helps you conserve the resources for a balanced metabolism.
Laxative teas and other items for colon cleansing may increase detoxification
There is no proof that it can detoxify the body by eating a laxative product. In reality, detox programs that involve laxatives, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), can cause diarrhea that is sufficiently serious to contribute to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.
If you want to cleanse your body, eat mindfully, and eat light, after consulting with your nutritionist, you can opt for a detox diet. Although they do have their advantages, it is important to consider whether a detox diet matches your needs.
Yes, when detoxing, you will lose weight. To achieve the desired effects, the detox diet, however, requires careful preparation. It is best to consult a nutritionist to make sure the diet is well balanced.