Brain plays a critical role in learning, working and playing to personality, aptitude and memory development.
The brain is the most important organ of the human body. The human brain works as the command centre for the nervous system. Placed firmly in the cranium or skull, the brain includes cerebrum, cerebellum and brain stem. Each part of the brain has a specific function to perform.
Cerebrum is associated with thought and action, cerebellum regulates body movements. Brain stem controls the flow of messages from brain to rest of the body. Human brain has two hemispheres, the left hemisphere controls muscles on the right side of the body, and the right controls muscles on the left side of the body.
Facts About Human Brain:
- Has no nerves, so feels no pain
- Consumes 20% of body’s energy
- Weighs 20% of the body
- Includes 100 billion neurons
- Made up of 60% fat and 75% water
- Uses nearly 20% of the body’s blood
- Needs 25% of the body’s oxygen supply
Ways To Improve Brain’s Strength:
Like other parts of the body, brain’s health is assured by simple lifestyle choices. The right diet, active life (physical and mental) and social engagement are primary for a strong and healthy brain.
Have the right diet
- Have more of saturated and trans fats as found in olive oil and fatty fish
- Take more of DHA, an omega-3 fatty acid, the building block of the brain. DHA is present in fatty fish and fortified foods like juice, milk, eggs, tortillas, yogurt and supplements
- Have diet rich in Vitamin E, found in milk, butter, eggs, nuts, whole grains and dark leafy greens like spinach
- Have more of lutein, a natural antioxidant which supports brain health. Lutein is found in leafy green vegetables
- Have polyphenol rich fruits and vegetables which help to decrease inflammation
Get Instant Doctor Online Consultation
Be physically active
- Exercise helps to reduce stress, maintain a healthy weight, and maintains proper blood flow in the body
- Have seven to eight hours of sleep
- Quit smoking and keep away from alcohol
- Maintain healthy weight to minimize the risk of diabetes, high cholesterol and hypertension
Stay mentally active
- Partake in brain-stimulating activities viz. reading, crosswords and learning a new language
- Meditation helps to reduce stress as it smoothens the Vegus
Stay socially engaged
An active social life that means to have more friends and partaking in social get-togethers. It is found that there is early creation of new brain cells and brain repair in people with higher social interaction. So, it is important to make friends and family a priority.